Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi guys, I know Bob's book is a excellent source of information, but if you are just starting out and want to get up to speed quickly especially with Lt-spice you may want to check out these educational videos which may also help you to design your own amplifier one day.

Check out this channel on YouTube SW Audio YouTube Channel
YouTube

Don't forget to like and subscribe.

And this DIY Audio thread.
SW-VFA-01: Audio power amplifier video series

Last edited:
Bob...I bought the first revision of the book and used it so much the pages are a bit haggard. I also travel a lot and would like to have the book on my tablet for reference. I'd like to buy revision 2 but I really would prefer it in an electronic format that is not tied to any DRM platform that will die at some point and take my money with it. Is revision 2 available in PDF format?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
It's a challenge with no good solution. I have Douglas Self's books on Kindle and the portability is nice. But the graphics are hard to read - sometimes to the point of being illegible. To add to that, I believe digital formats like this make it easier for the texts to be pirated to PDF copies causing financial hardships for the author.

I purchased Bob's latest book and am happier with a physical book, despite it being less portable. It's easier to read the drawings and quicker to flip to the section you're interested in.

Bob...I bought the first revision of the book and used it so much the pages are a bit haggard. I also travel a lot and would like to have the book on my tablet for reference. I'd like to buy revision 2 but I really would prefer it in an electronic format that is not tied to any DRM platform that will die at some point and take my money with it. Is revision 2 available in PDF format?

I'm glad you enjoyed the first edition. It was available in Kindle and was widely pirated months after the Kindle edition was released. The pirated versions had the Kindle ISBN. Pirates have cracked the Kindle DRM and no book available in Kindle is safe from piracy. There is software that will convert a cracked Kindle file to a perfect PDF. For these reasons, my second edition was deliberately not made available in Kindle or any other electronic form. Kindle versions of my first edition were an insignificant fraction of sales, anyway.

Cheers,
Bob

I purchased Bob's latest book and am happier with a physical book, despite it being less portable. It's easier to read the drawings and quicker to flip to the section you're interested in.

I am in the opposite camp. I have my first edition stashed in a box and it has not seen the light of day in years. I prefer the electronic version where I can keyword search, use the index to jump to sections, zoom in/out, etc. 99% of the time I reference the book, I am working on LTSpice, so 'Alt-Tab'ing to the reader window is much more convenient than pulling a book from the shelf, flipping to the right page, etc.

I do understand the piracy concern though. Not sure what would be the best way to overcome it. The only reason I have not yet bought the second edition is the lack of an electronic copy, so as soon as one is released with some sort of piracy protection, I'll be customer #1.

In the meantime, I keep making my videos :).

- Sandro (SW Audio)
YouTube

Last edited:
I'm glad you enjoyed the first edition. It was available in Kindle and was widely pirated months after the Kindle edition was released. The pirated versions had the Kindle ISBN. Pirates have cracked the Kindle DRM and no book available in Kindle is safe from piracy. There is software that will convert a cracked Kindle file to a perfect PDF. For these reasons, my second edition was deliberately not made available in Kindle or any other electronic form. Kindle versions of my first edition were an insignificant fraction of sales, anyway.

Cheers,
Bob

I dislike Kindle books, they are a disaster when it comes to math formulas, PDFs are also messy to read, there is no substitute to real paper.

Cheers,
Bob

Understood, Bob. I'll just buy rev 2 on dead trees, then. :)

From one Bell head (in my case Bellcore) to another, just wanted to say thanks for a great text.

Understood, Bob. I'll just buy rev 2 on dead trees, then. :)

From one Bell head (in my case Bellcore) to another, just wanted to say thanks for a great text.

I worked at Bellcore in Red Bank from 1984 to 1997 in the Applied Research organization where I managed VLSI research and later research on WDM fiber optics. I went to Bellcore from Ball Labs in Holmdel when the Divestiture happened. It was a great ride being a part of Building a company from the ground up. Many fond memories.

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Bob,

I was just wondering if you or somebody can post the details of were you can buy good quality star quad cable as shown in figure 5.5 of your 2nd edition book.

I'm having some noise problems which appear to be coming from my RCA signal wires.

I have found that as soon as I touch the signal wire, even just on the plastic insulation the noise stops.

Thanks.

Stuart

Hi Bob,

I was just wondering if you or somebody can post the details of were you can buy good quality star quad cable as shown in figure 5.5 of your 2nd edition book.

I'm having some noise problems which appear to be coming from my RCA signal wires.

I have found that as soon as I touch the signal wire, even just on the plastic insulation the noise stops.

Thanks.

Stuart

This should sort you out nicely...

Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Microphone Cable - BLACK - Per Meter | SWAMP

Hi Bob,

Thanks.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

This sounds strange. I'm not sure that going to star quad would fix this proble. Maybe there is something wrong with the interconnect you are using? Is this a line-level signal you are working with? Is the "noise" hum or hiss? It also sounds like you are not using a balanced interconnect. Star quad is virtually always used with balanced interconnect.

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Bob,

Yes, its a unbalanced interconnect cable.

The noise that I'm hearing is a hiss which is sometimes there when I turn on and sometimes not.

If it isn't and I let the amplifier sit for awhile the hiss will slowly build up until its really auditable and then die down to nothing.

But if I just touch the plactic insulation on the signal wire inside my case it just stops.

What wire do you recommend for the internal unbalanced interconnect cable?

Hi Bob,

Yes, its a unbalanced interconnect cable.

The noise that I'm hearing is a hiss which is sometimes there when I turn on and sometimes not.

If it isn't and I let the amplifier sit for awhile the hiss will slowly build up until its really auditable and then die down to nothing.

But if I just touch the plactic insulation on the signal wire inside my case it just stops.

What wire do you recommend for the internal unbalanced interconnect cable?

Internal to an amplifier, I usually use good-quality RG-174. For external interconnect I often use RG-174 instead of RG-58 as well. This includes short coaxial test leads that I make as well. For external RCA-to-RCA interconnect, the easiest answer is to just buy it pre-made, making sure it has good connectors.

There is an off chance that there is some kind of parasitic or similar oscillation, or grounding problem, or quasi-intermittent problem in your amplifier.

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Internal to an amplifier, I usually use good-quality RG-174. For external interconnect I often use RG-174 instead of RG-58 as well. This includes short coaxial test leads that I make as well. For external RCA-to-RCA interconnect, the easiest answer is to just buy it pre-made, making sure it has good connectors.

There is an off chance that there is some kind of parasitic or similar oscillation, or grounding problem, or quasi-intermittent problem in your amplifier.

Cheers,

Bob
Ok, thats exactly what I used. I remember now actually asking you before I ordered.

Thank you for confirming.

I'll spend some more time on the weekend investigating things.

Thanks for your advice Screenshot_20200619-141715_Digi-Key.jpg