Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bob,
I would greatly prefer that terminology. Folks who don't understand this stuff completely assume the wrong meaning. People who have no understanding get lead down the garden path, fat, dumb and happy.

I think if the system were to drop words, it would be forced to use interpolation - or something, to make the ultimate analogue stream "more correct". How's that? lol!

It isn't semantics here. It is the idea the words convey and I think that is very important. We should be clear.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I believe ALL ADCs write into their own RAM buffer... the transmission outside the ADC module operates over the internal Address/Data bus.

In a high end set up, a scatter/gather algorithm will transfer the data from the ADC to the DDR (RAM) or some other memory address... in a low end set up, an an interrrupt and core/DMA firmware schema will make the transfer.

I2S transmission is done outside the ADC module proper.

It's a rather complex case in that bit transmission is what the wire sees and some devices may be wired directly to the wire. But nowadays we see transmssion where the bits are assembled to (or disassembled from ) bytes/words for internal transfers. "bit perfect" thus can be handled at the network layer with CRC calculations and retransmission requests.

For this to work, the transmission bus must be running at higher rates than the AD/DAC "bit" rate.

IMHO, Bob is discussing the raw bit processing, the lower layer for data processing. ISO Layer 1.

And when discussing bit transmission, it's hard to split Layers 1, 2 and 3 since they work cohesively to ensure the lossless transmission of data.

If Bob and I were in the same office, I'd be handling Layer 3, he'd be handling Layer 1 and we'd be sharing Layer 2.

BTW, don't forget to preorder his new book. 99 bucks, paperback, in the USA.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tony,
Possibly the new ones. I learned on the original types that had no integrated control or memory of any kind. All they did was have a "conversion complete" signal so you knew the data was new and valid.

SPDIF. Layers? Nope, they just spew data that comes from the internal DSP. What it did was insured that the data that came out was valid data, not that it was correct, just valid for the format. Even data transmitted over TCPIP protocols is spewed out on streaming services. You can check and make sure the data is correct, but it will not be resent. Not like a normal file transfer type protocol with anything else, as in downloading a file from a server for example.

Yes, I had to wait for a new billing cycle on my credit card for the book. With any luck, I'll pay for it once I have it and not before.