Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Hi Bob,

my congratulations and heartly thanks for writing a book on amps! Writing publications is always a crazy amount of work, more so for a book with 600+ pages. It will certainly enrich the field on audio design/theory, there's so a small number of great books on this subject.

Have fun and nice to see such great information just when I find the time to have a look at DIYAudio after some months of absence!

Hannes

PS: by the way, Euro-amazon lists it for 33 Euro, a nice price!

600 pages with a link to SPICE, LTspice™, Working LTspice simulations and models, and datasheets of all transistors used in the book. And its only $60 ?

(edit $26.40 at Amazon.com: Designing Audio Power Amplifiers (9780071640244): Bob Cordell: Books )

This is a no brainer!

Hi cbdb,

Details on the supplemental information are still being worked out. I originally thought it would be nice to provide some supplemental information on a CD that came with the book, but the publisher decided against that (CDs get stolen from books in stores and that leads to return headaches). Details of how that information will be supplied via a website in a secure way, available only to those who have bought the book, are still being worked out. Copyrighted material, such as LTspice and datasheets themselves, will not be provided directly because they are readily available on the web. The amount and nature of the supplemental material will probably be a work in progress after the book is published (inevitable errata will probably also be covered), so the best thing to do is to is occasionally check at Cordell Audio: Home Page (which needs a lot of updating) for information on the book and any supplemental material that is available to purchasers of the book. My main intent is to provide some ready-to-run SPICE simulations and the necessary models so that people can hit the ground running with simulation. EKV models created by me for some power MOSFETs are a good example of models that need to be supplied in order to properly run some of the amplifier simulations.

Cheers,

Bob

Details on the supplemental information are still being worked out. ...................................so that people can hit the ground running with simulation. EKV models created by me for some power MOSFETs are a good example of models that need to be supplied in order to properly run some of the amplifier simulations.
this sounds like an exemplar of good customer care.
Thanks.

Bob, how can they afford to give you any of that $27?

The economics of publishing are not pretty, especially for authors of technical books where the investment in authoring time is high and the sales volumes are not astronomical. Royalties are usually based on gross revenue to the publisher, NOT the retail price. Gross revenues can be surprizingly small when markups and discounts in the whole retail chain are considered. Even at the correct retail price of $60, I only get a few dollars per copy.

Best,
Bob

Bob,
I just ordered a copy of your book. I thank you for gifting me with your many years of dedication to this hobby of mine. And just in time for Christmas.

Tad

Thanks Hans and Tad for your kind comments. The book has been a labor of love for four years, and writing it has taught me a lot, too.

I hope that you both enjoy my book as much as I've enjoyed the many other fine books that I've read along the way.

Cheers,
Bob

Just published in the Weekend Wall St. Journal -- the cost of this semester's books at Columbia University is something like $2K. 40 years ago my organic chem textbook (Morrison and Boyd) was an amount I considered staggering -- $32 -- an amount which could keep an undergrad in beer for a month.

I've actually wondered about teaching a course on electronics at a community college based on my book. I'm thinking that the attraction of a hobby perspective where you can get your hands on something and build/simulate it might attract some young people to the EE profession and the audio hobby. I'd sneak in a little bit of the math like hiding a pill for my dog in a ball of cheese. I understand that Marshall Leach has been teaching audio courses based on his excellent book at Georgia Tech, and that the audio aspect really entices the students and they have a lot of fun.

We have to keep new young people coming into this hobby to keep it healthy.

It is also important to keep the fire burning for analog design expertise in a world that is going increasingly digital. In fact, in my experience, much of what sometimes goes wrong in a digital circuit is analog in nature :).

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,
The Randall Museum use to have a class in California where over a period of 6-10 weeks they constructed a unique, students version, of the Randall tube amp.

Your idea of a class has always been something I could get around. It would have been nice if Dr. Leach at Georgia Tech were to hold something similar to this so people could extract information on a personal basis. If you ever find the time to do something like that please count me in. There are quite a few of us older crowd who missed the more in depth particulars of this field while we traveled a different road. It sometimes takes a lifetime to get back to the things that really interest you instead of what puts food on the table.

When was the last time you were in a teaching environment? It can be quite enlightening.

Tad

"There are quite a few of us older crowd who missed the more in depth particulars of this field while we traveled a different road. It sometimes takes a lifetime to get back to the things that really interest you instead of what puts food on the table."

Hi Bob,

There are some us who live in the northern region of the continent like Canada who would like to attend a class of yours, however, ever since 9/11 it's been difficult to cross the border. Not only do we have to get a passport but we also have to get a certified colonoscopy done two hours before boarding the aircraft.

What about doing an online class using a live feed. There could be an interactive Q&A period using Skype, or something like that, for those who wish to participate that way.

David.

Last edited:
Bob,
The Randall Museum use to have a class in California where over a period of 6-10 weeks they constructed a unique, students version, of the Randall tube amp.

Your idea of a class has always been something I could get around. It would have been nice if Dr. Leach at Georgia Tech were to hold something similar to this so people could extract information on a personal basis. If you ever find the time to do something like that please count me in. There are quite a few of us older crowd who missed the more in depth particulars of this field while we traveled a different road. It sometimes takes a lifetime to get back to the things that really interest you instead of what puts food on the table.

When was the last time you were in a teaching environment? It can be quite enlightening.

Tad

Hi Tad,

I have never been a real teacher, but have always envied several of my friends who went on to become professors at universities. However, I do not have a PhD, only a Masters.

I would say that the last two times I have been in a teaching role were at RMAF 2006 and HE 2007, where Peter Smith and Darren Kuzma and I put on the Listening and Measurement Workshops. I enjoyed that experience immensely.

Best regards,
Bob

"There are quite a few of us older crowd who missed the more in depth particulars of this field while we traveled a different road. It sometimes takes a lifetime to get back to the things that really interest you instead of what puts food on the table."

Hi Bob,

There are some us who live in the northern region of the continent like Canada who would like to attend a class of yours, however, ever since 9/11 it's been difficult to cross the border. Not only do we have to get a passport but we also have to get a certified colonoscopy done two hours before boarding the aircraft.

What about doing an online class using a live feed. There could be an interactive Q&A period using Skype, or something like that, for those who wish to participate that way.

David.

Hi David,

I'd have to think about doing an online feed; not sure.

BTW, I expect I'll be at the Montreal show in March. I've really enjoyed that show in the past, and Montreal is a beautiful city with many fine restaurants. That part of Canada is fairly convenient for me, as I live in NJ and my sister lives in Saratoga Springs, NY.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Rafael,

Do you mean an e-book version?

In any case, that's up to the publisher and I don't know if they have plans to do that.

Cheers,
Bob

Would be the complete book, I need the help of a translator to read the content. I believe no to be unique with having difficulty understanding a technical book in another language, hence the interest in digital form.