5 transistors output stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've heard(not actually seen) that company uses five output transistors in output stage in stead of the normal two complementary pairs.I am wondering how these arrangement is made.I believe the idea is to provide more current draw. Anyone has opinions on this?

Peter

Hi Peter,

If I understand you correct, you mean amps using 5 NPN and 5 PNP transistors in the output stage....

This is quite common for heavy amps, and it is done for the amp to be able to deliver more current (as you believed correctly:up: ).

Most output transistors (espesially those used in audio) have limited Ic (current flow throug the collector) of 10-15 Amps and Ptot (the total power handling of the transistor) of 150 to 250 Watts. This means, that for the amp to be able to handle more power than one pair of transistors can handle, you have to add additional output transistors i parallel (2, 3, 4 or more...)

You could take a look at my website under projects, where you find a temporarely schematic of my LYNX power amp using 2x 4 output transistors.

Hope this was of any help.

Hi Jan,
Thanks for the quick reply. I understood the idea to use more transistor pairs to provide more current draw. And I actually built different output stages using different quantity of transistor pairs for comparison purpose. But the impression I read from this company's brochure that offer 5 transistors per side for upgrade to the Hafler DH200 amp (which using 2 complementary pairs of output transistors) that puzzles me. Obviously,4 out of the 5 are refering to two complementary pairs. So where does the lone transistor relate to?

Peter

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
KCC said:
Hi Jan,
Thanks for the quick reply. I understood the idea to use more transistor pairs to provide more current draw. And I actually built different output stages using different quantity of transistor pairs for comparison purpose. But the impression I read from this company's brochure that offer 5 transistors per side for upgrade to the Hafler DH200 amp (which using 2 complementary pairs of output transistors) that puzzles me. Obviously,4 out of the 5 are refering to two complementary pairs. So where does the lone transistor relate to?

Peter

5 transistors per side refers to 5 for pos, 5 for neg side, per channel. Then in each channel you have 5 pairs.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.