Magnum MF160 power amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what is your problem with it ???? i have repaired a few of those in the past and i ve seen where are normally hurt

I was looking for an end degree like this for a long time. An audiofil was liked on an exhibition the music.I regarded it as an etalon.
When I obtained it difficultly second-hand not FETs they were in him but flat transistors. Was going nicely with this ,but bigger volume deformed.
As if it was exchanged it would be original FET.
Hitachi FETs they got involved into it (I received this to it) produces nothing on the other hand only with this growl.

Hi,
Sorry for the lack of my English. A Magnum MF 160 power amplifier'm a happy owner. This is a real gentleman, a wonderful sound. I need wiring diag.

Hi ! i have the same amp here with one channel emitting a sound like white noise quite strong ...
I wonder how can i get the service manual
If anyone knows i would be grateful. Also if you have an opinion on it.
It looks quite basic as an amp.
Thanks a lot,
gino

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_091620.jpg
    IMG_20200721_091620.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Hi ! i have the same amp here with one channel emitting a sound like white noise quite strong ...
I wonder how can i get the service manual
If anyone knows i would be grateful. Also if you have an opinion on it.
It looks quite basic as an amp.
Thanks a lot,
gino

Hi Gino,
On my amplifier, the power transistors had to be replaced. So that was the solution for me. I couldn't get a circuit diagram, although I also wrote to the successor of the manufacturer sometime....
The amplifier is otherwise worth the wait because it has excellent sound.
Tip: Find a competent professional. Look at the work points first.

Your sincerely,
Zoltan

Hi Gino, On my amplifier, the power transistors had to be replaced. So that was the solution for me. I couldn't get a circuit diagram, although I also wrote to the successor of the manufacturer sometime.... The amplifier is otherwise worth the wait because it has excellent sound.
Tip: Find a competent professional. Look at the work points first.
Your sincerely,
Zoltan

Hi Zoltan ! thanks a lot for the very kind and helpful reply.
The long term goal as soon as i will retire will be to try to repair/mod something
For now i got it repaired and yes it sounds nice. As very often i have some doubts about the construction solution of bolting the output devices to the bottom of the case in order to avoid an heatsink .
I much prefer a proper heatsink at the point that i am really thinking to extract the guts and put everythink in a different enclosure with a nice heatsink (if i find one suitable at low price ... maybe a broken power amp).
These days the hot is unbelievable in my home ... but after mid August i will think seriously about this option.
If i will be careful it is jut a matter of drilling some holes for connectors and move all the board and parts in the new case.
I know that heatsinks are quite expensive but this kind of construction i do not like really :( and i understand it is very common in british amps.
Thanks a lot again,
gino

Attachments

• output stage.JPG
    output stage.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Hi ! sorry it's me again.
As i hear some noise with the amp with no signal in i am wondering if:
1) adding another pair of psu caps in the unused space
2) changing the power diodes with some to220 special ones
could lower the noise floor of the amp.
I guess i will have to check the bias after that ? any suggestion ?

Attachments

• magnum mods.JPG
    magnum mods.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.