myths and facts on electrolytic capacitors in audio circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There already are a few threads on electrolytic capacitors

This one arises from a discussion in the thread " Dx Blame ST - Builder's thread - post pictures, reviews and comments here please." around the posts #333 to #357

The statement was that electrolytic caps work best for audio when they are operated at a DC Voltage bias of at least 10% of its rating.
Or something like that. The auther of this statement did not yet give a more precise version of what that is actually supposed to mean.

I suggested to spin off this topic to a seperate thread, to keep the other thread clean, and it got approved by one member, so here we go ;)

Feel free to copy the relevant posts of the Blame ST thread and repost them here, or link them, so everyone has the chance to get up to date as easily as possible.

My intention is, to have a fair discussion, and to stick to facts, reality, i.e references to repeatable experiments and results.

This thread is supposed to clear up myths that come across from time to time, like the one mention above. It is not meant to propagate and create new myths, as this is already happening enough anyway.

Have a good time!
krachkiste

Last edited:
I really know very little about capacitors, which are truly complex as any other part. But I would imagine a polar electrolytic aluminum capacitor has an oxide on only one side of the plates, and to maintain originally specified performance for a long length of time the capacitor should always or often have some voltage on it of proper polarity. If you operate such a capacitor for long with ac loads and no bias there will be all sorts of strange things developing in there, maybe even quickly enough to change an audio signal enough to hear. Also I suppose that keeping the capacitor polarized would help some distortions be more even order. Actually, this effect would probably exist for non-polar capacitors as well. If the bias is very high voltage compared to the signal, voltage dependent characteristic change would certainly be minimized for the signal. (possibly helping tube circuits sound better) What effect voltage bias has on current dependent characteristics is well beyond my knowledge, though it seems to me it would be a larger effect in electrolytic types.

Last edited:
I have never heard or read anything like that.
That a capacitor should not work well at low voltage.

When it comes to film capacitors,
they are generally electrically better the higher the voltage rating.
And I think this goes for electrolytics, too.

There might be very big lyts unsuitable for certain things in audio,
but this is mainly because of physical size.
And of course because lyts are several levels below film caps in electrical quality.

That article is about solid dielectric capacitors, not electrolytic ones. Conclusions CANNOT be extrapolated from one type to another since there is a major difference.

The electrolytic capacitors have the dielectric maintained based on the DC voltage across them. That DC is necessary and I can see why a value close to the nominal rated one could be beneficial, enhancing the electro-chemical oxidation insulation layer.

That is different from a solid dielectric capacitor, that is "stressed" by the DC component and suffer from hysteresis and short-term remnant polarization.

In 1984, I think, Ben DUNCAN ran a very long series of articles in an English magazine "Hi-Fi News and Record Review". It was for an up market pre-amp and I think that at one stage he said he couldn't use a plastic film cap for some reason and so he used two conventional electrolytics wired back to back to make a non-polarised cap. Now the two points that were interesting were that (i) I think he ran a resistor up between them, i.e. where they joined to have a a power supply rail voltage there and (ii) that I recall he argued for the use of a fairly high Working Voltage for the cap'. Have trouble recalling it exactly but I think it may have been over 300v in a s/signal circuit running fairly modest split-rail power supplies of 20 v dc or so.
All Ben's work was pretty well thought out and designed for sonic accuracy but I can't recall the exact rationale for these decisions.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've just finished reading Douglas Selfs latest book 'Small Signal Audio Design'.

Very interesting. Did you know that the average signal, between the microphone and the final mix down just before it goes onto the LP or CD goes through about 100 op-amp stages? mostly NE5532/34 but some TL072. He also says, through 'hundred's of electrolytic capacitors'. He should know.

So, don't agonize over a few electrolytic s in your power or pre-amp. Just build it!

Doug Self does not not know more than I do

A curious statement ???

Caps have already been discussed to death here. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/169833-polypropylene-vs-silver-mica-cdom.html

The topic seems to be like a religious experience to some , who like to TITHE the blackgate god in search of audio nirvana. :p

Seeing the statement... "maintaining the integrity of the dielectric usually requires the steady application of the correct polarity of direct current else the oxide layer will break down and rupture" , one would assume that more voltage would better maintain that oxide layer. as far as 10% , this would depend on what "voodoo" mixture that the electrolyte was composed of , and the thickness of the dielectric.

This is why I go way overboard in derating my electro's (100v for 60Vdc , etc.)

OS

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.