Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

amp 1000W/2000W, IRFP240/9240
amp 1000W/2000W, IRFP240/9240
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2010, 04:31 PM   #71
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federmann View Post
Eva is good, they only attack Czech and Slovak friends.
Then you are surely the only one on earth that is still
Czech and Slovak at the same time....
Must explain why Eva appreciate you so much...
Old 5th July 2010, 05:34 PM   #72
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
More comments after giving a quick read to the other thread:

If you have actually achieved 90dB open-loop gain all the way up to 10khz using one stage less than most people, then they are probably going to be angry, particularly the jealous ones. I like that kind of technical challenges. For example in one of my class D toys I get over 5kw @ 2 ohm for 1 second (before active limiting takes place, but music does not trigger the limiter) with just four pairs of TO-220 output devices.

The topology you are using has almost nothing new in it, I think it became popular in the early 1980s when MOSFET became in fashion and everybody wanted a MOSFET amplifier kit. The auxiliary supplies are a good idea and they are not very common, though.

Zener current limiting alone won't protect output stage against a short circuit for longer than a fraction of a second. The resulting dissipation is too high. It can only become reasonably reliable if the limiting condition is detected and the speaker relay is immediately opened for some time. This approach is often used in low-end amplifiers, but given the amount of them that I have repaired during the past 10 years, it's not 100% reliable.

Gate zeners (whatever purpose they are serving) need a series diode that is missing in your schematic. Without the series diode, and depending on idle (bias) Vgs and zener voltage, the upper zener may become forward biased before the lower zener becomes reverse biased and vice-versa.

Recommendation: Keep the zeners with added series diodes. Add a VI limiter, single or preferably dual slope, it does not take many parts or much space in SMD. You may develop these things in a separate breadboard or PCB attached to current amplifier PCB before laying out a PCB with all together.

Source resistors are not a bad thing. They can save a lot of MOSFET matching work, and something around 0.2 ohm won't degrade amplifier performance at all, but will actually help to linearize MOSFET.

Otherwise I like the unconventional layout and style. Old fashioned amplifier layouts and design philosophies discussed in most threads become extremely boring over time.
Old 5th July 2010, 05:38 PM   #73
XGAS is offline XGAS  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
Topology federmann ?...
A bit exagerated to give his name to a topology
he didn t invent at all , apart perhaps in his wildest dreams...
F. claims that skilled constructors like Upupa Epops (P. Dudek) and PMA are fifty years on the blind way, e.g. he had declared on his web that Upupa's constructions were and are bad because before 18 years ago he did not used PC simulations e.t.c. , e.t.c. .....
Till today we have from F. only purely theoretical blablas, real amp was NOT till yet built....
I suggest you to read discussions on F. web through Google Translator and see..... its a pity that you would not understand text on screenshots done by F...
Old 5th July 2010, 06:43 PM   #74
Federmann is offline Federmann  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Federmann amp 1000W/2000W, IRFP240/9240
Hi XGAS

You have truly refined taste.
Old 5th July 2010, 06:49 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Federmann, your link is invalid, these is only "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms". Please be more careful in quoting
Old 5th July 2010, 06:59 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGAS View Post
Federmann, your link is invalid, these is only "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms". Please be more careful in quoting
Here is the topic of the amplifier. What is the reason for your participation? Please choose a different thread. Why do you attack only on my thread?
Old 5th July 2010, 07:02 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

From this schema I pressume that giving amplifier is not able to guarrantee full power of nominal sine output with load impedance and distortion at a nominal value of over than ten minutes because of heat and electrical unstability. There will be problems with oscilating and with temperature. I pressume that cooling is underdimensed. Have you measured on REAL, OPERATING AMP (not simulations) temperature of cooler?
What about EU safety rules in electronic?

Last edited by XGAS; 5th July 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 5th July 2010, 07:04 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is the topic of the amplifier. What is the reason for your participation? Please choose a different thread. Why do you attack only on my thread?
I am discussing just like others, because I am interesting in your project.... I am not atacking you....
Old 5th July 2010, 07:47 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGAS View Post
not simulations
Measure I said more than enough. Neither one simulation I did not.
Old 5th July 2010, 07:54 PM   #80
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

XGAS:
You are welcome to criticise a circuit but do so in a positive way.
You will find fine examples from other fellow members in this thread.

You are not welcome to criticise a person.
I will not repeat this more than once.

/Hugo

amp 1000W/2000W, IRFP240/9240Hide this!Advertise here!