volume level meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have built the circuit below to help me see when my amp is about to clip, or clipping. It works fine but on a dummy load viewed on the scope, the amp clips more or less suddenly, whereas my LEDs are very linear and progressive.

Which means if I adjust so that the red LED is full on when the amp clips, then it will also be on well before it clips, just a bit less bright.

So I am after a design that would perhaps go on suddenly, if possible. The circuit below still works and does provide indication of level but it rather depends on the ambient light in the room to be able to see the various levels of yellow and red LEDs.

Attachments

• vumeter.jpg
    vumeter.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 198
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Simple task Mooly, use a comparator with the amp power supply as reference and measuring the output swing with reference to the power supply. Your amp depending upon the design will start to clip when it reaches some point close to the rail, which is dynamic anyway. All you need to add is a monostable that would keep the LED on for at least long enough so you can see it.

For one reason or another this circuit is on the pre-amp, not on the amp itself. To adjust it I use the scope and the amp on a dummy load.

I looked up comparators and it seems that's the way to go, so I will replace the LED transistors with a comparator. I have no idea which comparators to use - the LM393 is one option, it is dual so I could use it for the yellow and red, the green can be driven from a tranny as above since it is not critical.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.