What was the first Complementary AB bipolar amplifiers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PRR, I find this very interesting is there any place where I can read/learn more about how the early 2N3055's were made? Did you work for RCA or where did you learn about this?

Be careful about "2N3055". The 1962 version by RCA was a thick slab baked overnight in graphite boats and pried apart. Gain was low and variable, it was slow-ish (faster than big Germanium), but it was quite rugged in ways the specifiers did not understand. In practice it was likely to run out of gain before it went over-current. There was no go-to driver for 2N3055 so the drive was often marginal. They survived large powers.
In this case this thread is also of interest:
2N3055 inside - commercial famous amplifier models, quasi complementary power output
Nothing like a nice trip down memory lane....

:)
check out this URL:
HIGH FIDELITY - Consumer audio and music magazine
found under
RADIO and BROADCAST HISTORY library with thousands of books and magazines

Last edited:
Last edited:
300px-1956_H.C.Lin_amplifier_schematic_-_The_Original_Lin.png

the first practically workable circuit of a transformerless transistor power amplifier - was found by the developer of the RCA company Hong-Chan Lin and published in the September issue of Electronics magazine for 1956
Hung-Chang Lin - Wikipedia
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/4e/b5/42/7d6a3b7b269046/US2896029.pdf
RCA ("RCA"; English Radio Corporation of America) is an American diversified company that existed from 1919 to 1986. The founder (but not the owner) is a native of the Russian Empire David Sarnoff.
Líng Hóngzhāng; Wade–Giles: Ling Hung-chang; August 8, 1919 – March 5, 2009) was a Chinese-American inventor and a professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of Maryland. Lin was born in Shanghai, China. After graduating from Shanghai Jiaotong University, Lin worked for the Central Radio Works. Lin was worked at RCA Laboratories and was one of the first scientists to work on transistor circuit development. Lin was the first inventor to incorporate p-n-p or complementary integrated circuits.

Last edited:
I dunno about stirring an 8 year old thread on a 60 year old topic.
The Fisher 505-series, many variants, was known to me because I could buy the factory reject boards/sinks and try to repair them. Over the the years Fisher introduced about every new idea: no output cap, Darlingtons, complements, Zener diodes, JFET current-diodes, current-source loading, matched input pair, eventually(!!) current and V-I limiting.
Your comment, much appreciated, many thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.