100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

I made a couple more changes to the file. C9,10,14&15 were shorted. I fixed them. Gain is pretty low. I tried lowering R24 to 50R and that brought up the gain but raised the THD quite a bit. Maybe there is a better way to raise the gain.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• Apex A33 1-4-15.asc
    20.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Cordell Models.txt
    19.6 KB · Views: 159
Gain is pretty low. I tried lowering R24 to 50R and that brought up the gain but raised the THD quite a bit. Maybe there is a better way to raise the gain.

:D It's a trade-off, Terry. Many people do not understand about the effect of feedback. There's debate about the importance of feedback. Those who debate do not understand. If they understand, they will put the right amount of feedback into the circuit. People tried to lower the THD as low as possible, not knowing what they throw away with the bath water.

A preamp doesn't raise the gain, it only raises the input voltage. I don't know yet with the real amp because I haven't found my problem yet but on the spice file, 3vac on input only outputs 45vac on the output. I think that is a gain of 15x. Lower than any amp I've built so far.

This is a tough amp to troubleshoot with 33 transistors. They all measure good with a diode test so I must have a solder bridge somewhere. I'll stay after it. If I can't find it I'll post up a schematic with voltages for some fresh eyes. The good thing is that we know the board will work because Alex has already proven it.

Blessings, Terry

A preamp doesn't raise the gain, it only raises the input voltage. I don't know yet with the real amp because I haven't found my problem yet but on the spice file, 3vac on input only outputs 45vac on the output. I think that is a gain of 15x. Lower than any amp I've built so far.

This is a tough amp to troubleshoot with 33 transistors. They all measure good with a diode test so I must have a solder bridge somewhere. I'll stay after it. If I can't find it I'll post up a schematic with voltages for some fresh eyes. The good thing is that we know the board will work because Alex has already proven it.

Blessings, Terry

Only 45vac on the output is over 500W/4R. Replace R25, R26 and R27 with 1k instead 470R, gain will increase to 30x.
Regards

A40

CFA amplifier with advance output stage.

Attachments

• APEX A40.JPG
    APEX A40.JPG
    620.4 KB · Views: 2,464
Only 45vac on the output is over 500W/4R. Replace R25, R26 and R27 with 1k instead 470R, gain will increase to 30x.
Regards

Yes, I understand it is a lot of power but 3v input is higher than most preamps will output. I changed the three 470R to 1K each and as you said I see 30vac with a 1V input.
I'm attaching the error report from Ltspice.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• A33 1v input 30x gain.png
    A33 1v input 30x gain.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,092

Blessings, Terry
A pre-amp that raises the input voltage has gain.
That gain adds to the system gain.
eg.
A Buffer with a gain of +0dB feeding a Power Amplifier with a gain of +26dB results in a system gain (for these two components) of +26dB

Replace the Buffer with a Pre-amp with a gain of +10dB which increases the input voltage to the Power Amplifier by about 3.1times, gives a system gain of +36dB

CFA amplifier with advance output stage.

reduced by two transistors and now it is A38 - used Olaf´s files from earlier done A14 and A33 - so it has all rights to be called Olaf´s and accommodated by me:

(!!!IT MUST BE CHECKED!!!)

Attachments

• A40.zip
    109.4 KB · Views: 957
  • A40b.JPG
    A40b.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 2,229
  • A40a.JPG
    A40a.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 2,327
  • A40.JPG
    A40.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 2,444
Hi Olaf,
Can you Please post the foils for this.i would like to make a pair.

Thank you.
Rick.
Hi, here are all the necessary files (zip includes the Sprint-File).

Regards Olaf

Attachments

• A9-BD139-Version-Silk.jpg
    A9-BD139-Version-Silk.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 2,147
  • A9-BD139-Version-Component-View.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 501
  • A9-BD139-Version-Mirrored.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 444
  • A9-BD139-Version.zip
    38.6 KB · Views: 515
A40 PCB not tested yet ......

Nice works guys ,and my last layout not tested but very soon I will build a pair:D

Alex

Attachments

• A40 APEX PCB ALL.jpg
    A40 APEX PCB ALL.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,183
  • A40 APEX ALL PHOTO.jpg
    A40 APEX ALL PHOTO.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,161
  • 138 A40 CFA APEX pdf doc.pdf
    256.7 KB · Views: 754
Last edited: