onkyo A-8200 popping fuses..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just bought an onkyo A-8200 as i thought it would be ideal for a little home project but to my dismay it's faulty :mad: soon as i turn it on it pops a 2.5a 250v fuse located just after the transformer, i'm not that clued up on home audio repairs so any thoughts/ideas would be welcome!

You may have your hands full. First you must try and isolate the short. Most likely a output transistor has failed and being the main part of the power supply is on the amp board you just can't unplug it. A variac would help but I would guess you don't have one. You may want find a repair shop near you.:(

makes it harder can you remove them from the circuit board tape them so don't touch each other and see if the fuse blows? The good thing here is the main power switch s901 at the bottom left of the schematic is manual not controlled by logic aka a remote. other wise removing the secondary windings would shut down the amp totally. We are looking for a shorted transformer which is not very common but should be checked. Kiss is an acronym for keep it simple stupid. I am keeping it simple to walk you through it. Getting late over there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.