Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Bryston 4B ST Clone Started
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2010, 10:52 PM   #1
rsbonini is offline rsbonini
diyAudio Member

Default Bryston 4B ST Clone Started

Bryston amps are legendary, and many people here have toyed with the idea of building one. Well, I've started a 4B ST clone. So far the PCB's have been designed, manufactured and I have most of the components for the main amp boards installed. I've been pondering how exactly to set the bias on the amplifier though. I've not had any luck finding a service manual or other document with this information. Any ideas?

(will post pics soon)
Old 4th February 2010, 10:39 AM   #2
mak müh is offline mak müh  Turkey
diyAudio Member

I am looking for waiting your project.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:49 AM   #3
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
how exactly to set the bias on the amplifier
The Brystons are optimum biased ClassB amps, no? So you would need a distortion analyzer to set the bias to minimum distortion.

Soundcard with decent software will do also.

Have fun, Hannes
Old 5th February 2010, 02:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Photos of the amp boards

Here are the amp boards, I have all the passives installed minus some jumpers and output inductors. The output transistors in the one image are just to show spacing and that these will go through the heatsink and solder directly into the pcb. The boards will also mount directly onto the heatsink. Signal paths are short and compact. Metal film 1% 3/4W resistors for the most part, audio critical caps are poly film, boards are double sided gold plated. Schematics can be found on the Bryston website. Next is to clean these up, mount them on heatsinks and get a power supply running to start testing. Wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7060085.jpg (356.4 KB, 1221 views)
File Type: jpg P7060086.jpg (349.3 KB, 1135 views)
Old 5th February 2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Zero Cool is offline Zero Cool  United States
diyAudio Member

I will be very curious to see how these come out. The 4B for some reason really has good bass control. I couldn't believe the difference, it was like adding another entire octave to the bottom end of my speakers simply by swapping in an old 4B, but the top end was too harsh for my liking. But that was an old 4B I was playing with too. not the ST version.

Zc
Old 5th February 2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a Bryston integrated, essentially the 2B. It's no 4B but I would echo that comment on the bass and the high end of the frequency range, although I wouldn't describe the trebles as harsh I would say I find listener fatigue after a few hours.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 5th February 2010, 06:16 PM   #7
taj is offline taj  Canada
diyAudio Member

So, is this just "show and tell", or are you going to divulge your PCB layouts and plans for the project? Will others be able to build this based on the work you're doing? What's your plan?

What chassis are you designing this for? The cutouts in the PCB have an obvious purpose, but I can't guess what that might be.

..Todd
Old 5th February 2010, 06:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Not entirely sure yet. Just wanted to get some feedback on how to set the bias on this properly. Depends on how much interest there is and how well it works out. I'll document as I go and put together a build-through pdf,

I'll be building the chassis from scratch (that's the current plan plan anyway)
Old 5th February 2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Stormrider is offline Stormrider  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Stormrider Send a message via MSN to Stormrider
How about posting the schematic you're working from?
Old 5th February 2010, 11:10 PM   #10
AVWERK is online now AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

What was the reason you designed the TO3 closer to center rather than at the edge where it would be easier to sandwich a heat sink assembly together?

Regards
David

Bryston 4B ST Clone StartedHide this!Advertise here!