Nakamichi PA7 Recapping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I've read mostly good reviews for the Nakamichi PA7 but also a few negative ones. For those that consider the Nak PA-7 a substandard amp, I offer a suggestion...recap it, especially if it is all original.

I now own a PA-7AII and a PA-7. I have had the PA-7AII for a while now and have been been very impressed with its sound. Then I picked up a nonworking PA-7 as a project. When I opened it up, I couldn't believe it, but every, and I mean every small electrolytic cap in the amp was bad. They either had high ESR or were open, low capacitance, or leaking. Every one. It was truely amazing that the amp ran as long as it did.

I replaced the Elna Cerafine caps with the same ones, and all other caps on the amp boards were replaced with Muse caps (except for 1 BP cap where I used another audio cap). The caps on the inrush board were replaced with high temp, low ESR caps. I also replaced the idle current and offset pots with multi-turns (old ones were cracked), as well as a 2W resister on the inrush board that looked like it was getting quite hot.

After I fired it back up, the results stunned me. That PA-7 now sounds quite a bit better than the PA-7AII. It is much more open, has a wider and more focused image, and sounds much smoother. I see another project in my future to cap the PA-7AII...

So based on the number of failed caps in this amp, I would venture to guess that most PA-7s out there which have not been recapped are basically walking zombies that sound no where near their potiention.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Nakamich PA&

Hello,
I have 2 Nakamichi PA7 Amps from the late 80's. One is in the box and never been used. I would like to sell them as I am
moving onto a sailboat and they are a little on the heavy side. Any suggestions on their value and what iwould be the best way to advertise them would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Florida USA but will ship anywere
Albert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.