Building an amplifier power supply using a voltage doubler and LM317?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was considering purchasing a kit such as: QKits Electronic Kits: FK656, Power Amplifier Kit OTL 30W (Mono) R1%

To use as the output stage for an amplifier. I just won an ebay auction for a 40VA 24CT transformer. Now obviously the voltage output of the transformer would not be high enough for that kit. So I was thinking about building a voltage doubler circuit. And then after the circuit, I would use a LM317 for regulation.

Would this be a bad idea to regulate the p/s? The max output current of the LM317 is only 1.5Amps, so it would be cutting it pretty close. I wouldnt need the full 30 watt output of the kit, even 20 watts would be fine.

It would be driving a single 8ohm guitar speaker.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It takes a lot of capacitance and probably more transformer
to build a voltage doubler good enough for the power stage
of an amplifier. Normally this technique is reserved for low
current use, as in creating higher rails for front end circuits.

:cool:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last edited:
full wave voltage doubler....
;)

It appears the kit requires a +/- supply. You can build a regulated +/- supply with 2) LM317's, but you must have two seperate secondaries, not a CT. Otherwise you would need the - reg, LM337. You will loose a few volts with forward diode voltage and ripple and you would need to have much larger caps. It really would be easier and probably cheaper in the end to find a proper transfo.

Besides, your transfo is undersized by over half that's required.

It's too bad you didn't win two of them.:p

So what enclosure would you all recommend to use with this kit? I have everything else that I need I think.

I looked at a Hammond Die-cast aluminum enclosure, but it was 35 dollars, more than the cost of the rest of the components!

I was hoping to find something in the 10-15 dollar range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.