Need help troubleshooting an amplifier...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Telex EV SonicXS 4.1 sound system for my computer and I have had it for about five years. I've had a problem with it working properly. I'll turn it on and it makes a loud noise like AM-radio for about a minute, then that noise goes away and the subwoofer doesn't work and the satellite speakers sound like they are missing the treble. Then there's the AM-radio noise again and then suddenly a pop and everything sounds great. At least that's the way it usually happens.

Well I took apart the subwoofer which houses all of the amplifiers and crossovers. There are five small boards that look like the individual amplifiers for each speaker. There is a burnt smell and the board is burnt around the leads of a big resistor. The color coding on the resistor comes to 68 ohms, and I tested the resistance with my digital multimeter and it says 69 ohms so it looks good.

I can't find schematics anywhere online for this system. Are there any additional troubleshooting steps you guys can recommend?

Here are a couple pics of the amp and the burnt area on the board:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.