diagnosing remote control for Unison Unico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have a Unison Research Unico hybrid integrated amp. It has a radiowave remote control for volume up and down, but is not functioning. I'm wondering if anyone here can help me diagnose the problem (and hopefully fix it)? I can use a soldering iron, but know almost nothing about eletronics. (I did just build the Pete Millet "Starving Student" tube hybrid headphone amp, point-to-point.)

I suppose the first step is: How do I find out whether it's the remote or the receiver in the amp that's not working?

fishline

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What do mean "radio wave" ? Do you mean infra red ?? 99.99% of remotes are infra red, a few very old ones (TV) used ultrasonic sound.

To test infra red point it at a web cam or video camera and press the button, and it should show a stead brilliant flash from the front of the remote. Our eyes can't see it, most digital imaging devices can.

What do mean "radio wave" ? Do you mean infra red ?? 99.99% of remotes are infra red, a few very old ones (TV) used ultrasonic sound.

To test infra red point it at a web cam or video camera and press the button, and it should show a stead brilliant flash from the front of the remote. Our eyes can't see it, most digital imaging devices can.

It's an RF remote, not IR. That's what I meant by "radio wave". I'll try to take pictures of the remote PCB board and post that.

fishline

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Interesting, never heard of one using RF before.
As to testing though :)
Well if it were me I would begin with the easy stuff, don't laugh, new batteries, clean the contacts, then get technical. Can you measure the battery voltage with it just sat there and also when the buttons are pressed. Does the voltage dip indicating it's drawing current ? Or connect a milliameter in series with the batteries and check more precisely that way.
What else... friendly dealer ? that had something it would work on. Probably not.

Scope the wireless receiver, see if any kind of data can be recovered... what frequencies does it use as a carrier ? Does it interfere in any way with a radio etc on different bands ?

I did test the battery (12v) and it read 11.8v on my DMM. Did not try reading the DMM while pressing buttons though. Will give that a try tonight.

How do I test the receiver side?

I bought the amp off Audiogon a while ago, and it came that way. I was not able to find any useful info or spec on the remote unit, only a blurb in the manual that says the receiver can be re-sync with a new remote. I may try contacting Unison Research directly to see if they can provide any info, but this amp is not in their current catalog...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The only easy way to test the receiver will be to scope it I imagine... I would need it in front of me to be able to even begin to try and identify what's what.
For example does it transmit something like Philips RC5 code ( as an example ) on a carrier or FM modulated carrier etc or is it more basic say transmitting just different carrier frequencies for up/down with no actual data as such... just don't know. Or it may use something like car key transmitter technology in the 300 to 500mhz range,
Remote keyless system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You mention "pairing" of transmitter and receiver... you could do with finding out more on that one.

Here are pictures of the front and back of the remote PCB:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I measured the voltage at the battery contacts again. It reads 11.9v. If I press either button, it goes down to around 11.1v.

I can open the amp and try to find the receiver module, if I know what to do with it.

fishline

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Seeing the voltage dip is a good sign it's transmitting.
I'm guessing those 3 red tact switches are for other models and functions. The rear of PCB looks to have a bit of wire soldered to it... is that original ?

I think you have to find out how to "pair" the transmitter and receiver if that's something that needs doing. It's just possible there is nothing wrong with either.

OK. Here are pictures of what's inside the amp.

The pot:

The little board next to it. Not sure if this is the RF receiver board:

Slightly different angle:

The user's manual says that if the remote has to be replaced, it can be synchronized by pressing the reset/synchronize button on the receiver board. However, I couldn't really tell where is the reset button on the receiver board (not even sure which is the receiver board). Help!

fishline

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hard to make out. The back to connections on the pot look like they will go to the motor, and it looks like they could go to that board... which indicates it could be the motor driver/logic etc... but whether it's the radio receiver to I can't say. Can't see any switch on it.
Is there not another unusual PCB anywhere. I'm guessing it would be near a surface that is not metal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.