At 500 euros: Avondale NCC200, trafos, caps and bridges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

I am selling my NCC200 setup because I bought a pair of Jadis JA80 amplifiers. The Jadis are much better than the NCC200 but they cost a fortune. However, I still consider the NCC200 amplifier to be one of the best (if not the best) medium wattage solid state amplifier I had.

I am selling the following stuff:

1. At EUR250: a pair of NCC200 amplifier modules assembled and tested by Les Wolstenholme of Avondale Audio in person. You just need to wire the board following the simple schematic that will be attached to the kit. The board are in mint conditions as you see from the pictures below. No soldering!

2. At EUR140: a pair of hiend EI core shielded transformers (made in Italy) with secondaries rated 35-0-35Vac, each one is able to provide 500VA. I tried Avondale power toroidal transformers first, but these hiend EI trafos put this this amplifier on another sonic level. The reason why EI are not used anymore is that they cost more! The gained dynamic with the EI is simply impressive. I used the two trafos mounted on the top of the chassis like many hiend tube amps. This has two functions: (i) heat dissipation (which is critical in trafos), which means that the trafo is always under optimal operation, (ii) no field will influence the performance of the amp board. I have to say that the trafos mounted on the top are also impressive looking! The size of each trafo are 12x10x12 cm (WxDxH) including the top cover, 12x10x8 cm (WxDx8) excluding the top cover.

3. At EUR110: 8 high quality capacitors and 2 bridge rectifiers. These high quality bridge rectifiers are rated 46A/1000V. These come mounted on a little aluminum heat sink. These bridge rectifiers are the same used in Naim amplifiers. I also tried schottky rectifiers but honestly in my high resolution hifi system I couldn't see any gain from using them. Each rectifier measures 3x3x2 cm (WxDxH). Eight *rare* Philips NOS Electrolytic Capacitors, rated 10000uF/100V each. These beasts are able to deliver max 28 A at 100 Hz! These capacitors come from the same line (Q LL HP codes) used in Jadis electronics. Four of these gives you 40000uF per amplifier. In my experience 20000uF per channel is the best setup, this means that you can use four of them and use the remaining four as a recap service! The caps measure: 12x6.5 cm (H x Diameter). The caps can be connected using screws, they can be mounted either horizotally or you can use the lower screws to bolt them vertically.

NOTICE: I am not selling my chassis. The only way we can split this selling is that I can sell the NCC200 boards separated from trafos+bridges+caps. This means that for instance I am not going to sell the trafos and the caps separately.

Shipping is payed buy the buyer, I guess the shipping will be around 30 euros for everything shipped in Europe.

PICTURES

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Best Wishes
Pietro

Dear All,

I am selling my NCC200 setup because I bought a pair of Jadis JA80 amplifiers. The Jadis are much better than the NCC200 but they cost a fortune. However, I still consider the NCC200 amplifier to be one of the best (if not the best) medium wattage solid state amplifier I had.

I am selling the following stuff:

1. At EUR250: a pair of NCC200 amplifier modules assembled and tested by Les Wolstenholme of Avondale Audio in person. You just need to wire the board following the simple schematic that will be attached to the kit. The board are in mint conditions as you see from the pictures below. No soldering!

2. At EUR140: a pair of hiend EI core shielded transformers (made in Italy) with secondaries rated 35-0-35Vac, each one is able to provide 500VA. I tried Avondale power toroidal transformers first, but these hiend EI trafos put this this amplifier on another sonic level. The reason why EI are not used anymore is that they cost more! The gained dynamic with the EI is simply impressive. I used the two trafos mounted on the top of the chassis like many hiend tube amps. This has two functions: (i) heat dissipation (which is critical in trafos), which means that the trafo is always under optimal operation, (ii) no field will influence the performance of the amp board. I have to say that the trafos mounted on the top are also impressive looking! The size of each trafo are 12x10x12 cm (WxDxH) including the top cover, 12x10x8 cm (WxDx8) excluding the top cover.

3. At EUR110: 8 high quality capacitors and 2 bridge rectifiers. These high quality bridge rectifiers are rated 46A/1000V. These come mounted on a little aluminum heat sink. These bridge rectifiers are the same used in Naim amplifiers. I also tried schottky rectifiers but honestly in my high resolution hifi system I couldn't see any gain from using them. Each rectifier measures 3x3x2 cm (WxDxH). Eight *rare* Philips NOS Electrolytic Capacitors, rated 10000uF/100V each. These beasts are able to deliver max 28 A at 100 Hz! These capacitors come from the same line (Q LL HP codes) used in Jadis electronics. Four of these gives you 40000uF per amplifier. In my experience 20000uF per channel is the best setup, this means that you can use four of them and use the remaining four as a recap service! The caps measure: 12x6.5 cm (H x Diameter). The caps can be connected using screws, they can be mounted either horizotally or you can use the lower screws to bolt them vertically.

NOTICE: I am not selling my chassis. The only way we can split this selling is that I can sell the NCC200 boards separated from trafos+bridges+caps. This means that for instance I am not going to sell the trafos and the caps separately.

Shipping is payed buy the buyer, I guess the shipping will be around 30 euros for everything shipped in Europe.

PICTURES

Best Wishes
Pietro

hi do you still have them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.