Luxman L100 vintage sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Have recently bought one Luxman 309 and one Luxman L58A. Both in mint condition and the only change made is two new caps in the regulated psu for the L58A. I am very pleased with the vintage sound from these amplifiers.

The sonic sound seems to be slightly more detailed, warm and with a large stereo perspective from the L58A compared to the L309. The L58A sounds more or less like a well designed tubeamp, and the current of approx. 300mA in the outputstage (a pair of 2SJ49/2SK134 for the specified max. 80Watt )should guarantee some few watt's in class A.

I would like to know or have some opinions of the integrated Luxman L100 sound qualities - or may be the Luxman poweramp M02.

The L58A sounds well, but I could use some more current for my 11" AR3a woofer.

Please find the L58A at: http://leakstereo20.skysite.dk/
And AR3a "improved" at: http://www.diagrammer.hobbysider.dk/

Thanks
Kim

Attachments

• img_1201.jpg
    img_1201.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 346
Hi,

Don't have a L100 but a friend's friend has and tells me the L100 was a bit too sharp for him. He sold it the moment he got his hands on a Sansui.

Sold my L210 as was class-B and no bass. Kept the L430 and replaced all the electrolytic and film caps as the film caps made it sound a bit off. A few friends who heard the new "unit" were impressed enough to ask where can they get one themsleves!!!

TRUTH ..... a couple of electrolytics will not do the job for a machine at this age ....probably most if not all electrolytics will need to be replaced ....

done this and a few other LUX a million times Given the oportunity you might consider better quality caps ...bigger if possible with film bypass added ...multiturn trimmers zobels relocated and stuff like that will make your amp ten times better ...

here is a link with procedure and information

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/136261-vintage-amplifier-repair-upgrade-manual.html

Hi,

Don't have a L100 but a friend's friend has and tells me the L100 was a bit too sharp for him. He sold it the moment he got his hands on a Sansui.

Sold my L210 as was class-B and no bass. Kept the L430 and replaced all the electrolytic and film caps as the film caps made it sound a bit off. A few friends who heard the new "unit" were impressed enough to ask where can they get one themsleves!!!

The Luxman L100 has four bipolar transistors pr. channel, if I remember right, and high plus/minus rails - together with old caps the sharp tone could be related to unclean relay and switch contacts.
After what has been told the L100 has a reputation of a soft detailed mid- and highrange sound with sufficiant power enough to drive even low sensitive speakers as AR11. The L58A has a pair of Hitachi 50/135 mosfet pr channel and sounds much more like a tubeamplifier, but if one count the years from Luxmans release of L100 and L58A as well as L430 , they all are in need of new caps and cleaning of contacts. - If the amplifiers shall meet the original specs from Luxman.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.