ONIX OA21 and SOAP Connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this question is in the wrong forum section.

I am the proud owner of an Onix OA21 integrated amp purchased new from The Cornflake Shop in London c.1988 but unused since 1999 until recently it had a service and is working perfectly.

However when I attach a recently acquired eBay SOAP unit to it, I loose the ability to change channel on the OA21 and am not able to select the Phono channel. When I attached my ipod to the auxiliary 'Tape In' channel this played constantly, irrespective of what I selected on the front of the amp.

The SOAP has a DC out as a circular multi-pin which is matched by a circular input at the back of the OA21. The SOAP also has an AC Out, which I have not used.

My connection of the SOAP involved running the mains AC supply to the SOAP and connecting the OA21 via the DC out connection. This powers up the OA21 without a separate mains supply and allows playback on the 'Tape In' and volume control but not the operation of the phono channel (which works perfectly without the SOAP connected).

What am I doing wrong?

p.s I am a complete electronic novice so please do not blind me with science!

SOAP enquiry

I just say your thread from a few months ago. I hope you got the problem sorted, but if not, you might try contacting Tony Brady at Exposure Hi-fi - he was the Onix designer. I've found him quite helpful, although I imagine he does get inundated with Onix enquiries.

I'm actually looking for a SOAP to go with my 21s. Could I ask you how much you payed for on ebay? I'm really not sure what their value is and what is worth paying.

If you managed to get the SOAP working, did it make a worthwhile difference to the sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.