Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

tube-like SS power amp
tube-like SS power amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2009, 03:35 AM   #21
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

tube-like SS power amp
Actually Im not really sure its that simple at all

I have a small AB amp that seem to just follow the signal very truthfully

When my speakers are not working properly(xo) it just sounds bloddy awfull, and I begin to think whether amps are broken, making them oscillate

Seems I have just now been real lucky with speaker adjustments and now it sounds very pleasing, natural fullbodied, lots of drive and rythm, fluend with impressive ambience and superiour sonics, if there is any
Sound is simply very "responsive" and you cant get enough of it

But its apparently not the amp that does it at all
It just does what its told to do, which is also very important to achieve the above
Old 12th April 2009, 03:43 AM   #22
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Very high voltage SS with an output transformer.
Old 12th April 2009, 03:52 AM   #23
mosfets is offline mosfets  Canada
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AKSA
SS amps can be made to sound almost like a good tube amp if H2 and H3 is injected into the mix in very small quantities, around 0.05%.
Hugh

Hugh, are there any(tubish SS) designs in you're opinion, that stand out in the DIY arena? Perhaps specifically made with the intentions of replicating the classic tube harmonics? (outside of Nelson Pass as he clearly has A few in the bag)

Cheers
Old 12th April 2009, 03:57 AM   #24
c2cthomas is offline c2cthomas  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: tube-like SS power amp

Quote:
Originally posted by rtill
Just curious if there is any SS power amp out there that may have a tube-like warm sound or qualities.
This might be of interest - and no, I do not have any connection with Grant Fidelity

http://grantfidelity.com/site/B-283+...ocessor+Buffer
Old 12th April 2009, 06:39 AM   #25
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by wg_ski
That's where tubes are usually better than SS - in overload.

This is a myth in my opinion. Just about every commercial valve amp intended for HiFi use that I have played with and have had in my system has had mediocre overload/recovery performance particularly objectionable when overdriven to a degree that would still sound quite OK on a well designed SS amplifier with clean clipping performance.

This is especially so for valve amplifiers that employ capacitive coupling to the grids of the power output valves and even more so for those that use both capacitive coupling the output valves and global negative feedback.

In such amplifiers even moderate overload can result in a large spray of objectionable high order harmonics due the loss of bias that occurs when the inevitable forward-biased grid currents charge the coupling caps (blocking distortion). And then there is the recovery time proportional to the degree and duration of overdrive.

With such valve amplfiers (the vast majority) I would always want an adequate reserve of power to avoid clipping as much as possible.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 12th April 2009, 07:04 AM   #26
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

tube-like SS power amp
The original poster asks for amps with "tube like qualities"
I am unashamedly going to give mine another plug. The original thread got far to long and wandered around.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...=&pagenumber=1

Just say that if it's for a domestic setting it's unbeatable IMO. Don't let the simplicity of the design fool you, and don't get hung up over specs... it all comes together to give a totally outstanding and believable musical result. If I had heard better I would want it... !
Old 12th April 2009, 07:27 AM   #27
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

tube-like SS power amp
Quote:
Originally posted by AKSA
SS amps can be made to sound almost like a good tube amp if H2 and H3 is injected into the mix in very small quantities, around 0.05%.
Translation:

"A water from ocean can be made to taste almost like a good Coke if to add a brown pigment in small quantities"
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:00 PM   #28
Lumba Ogir is offline Lumba Ogir  Sweden
Banned

Mooly,
and it did NOT happen by chance.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:16 PM   #29
Lumba Ogir is offline Lumba Ogir  Sweden
Banned

Glen,
but I don`t like your valve amp.
Old 12th April 2009, 01:41 PM   #30
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

tube-like SS power amp
I thought clipping behaviour is mostly important when the input has a wide dynamic range such as with microphone amps, guitar amps etc. ?

It looks to me that 90% of the 'established opinion' is in line with Hugh; you want to have control over H2/3 and noone harmonics above those.

Last week I was leafing through a British hi-fi magazine full of amplifier tests. They nicely provide a written description of the sound (subjective) and a graph of the harmonic performance. I found a strong correlation between 'sounds nice' and amplifiers that had harmonics that decreased monotonically (i.e. H2 highest, then H3 and then the others falling off really fast).

The classic LTP input topology gives you all the control you need over this. If the rest of the amp is designed OK to avoid higher order harmonics the LTP can give you as much H2/3 as you want to dial-in. Nelson shows how a JFET can be used to do pretty much the same thing.

A discussion over what makes an amp sound like a tube amp will be a long thread without a conclusion so I say follow the crowd first time around and rely on the collective wisdom !

An very well balanced LTP produces low H2 and some H3. Let it come out of balance and you can 'dial in' the H2. If you look at what published information there is on Hugh's AKSA you find that the LTP has no current mirror to force LTP balance, runs the LTP at a low current without emitter degeneration - all the 'wrong things' and if you simulate this you find that the current isn't balanced particularly accurately. So you get H2/3 ! No doubt Hugh has many other tricks up his sleeve, but this is a good starting point.

I'm unashamedly on a path to borrow from those that went before with my TGM 1.0.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

tube-like SS power ampHide this!Advertise here!