Diamond Buffer - Super Buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you think of my latest work?, 4-layer, gold pads

Size = 21.7 x 32.0 mm, 0.852 x 1.261 in.

Schematic

BOM

Attachments

• ssb01r0_overview.jpg
    ssb01r0_overview.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3,031
Looks Ok to me, why gold? (except of another gold thing on the photo implying you're married)
Any special adhesive to solder properties?
I see you like to have components dense on both sides :)
If I were you I'd add another via on the other edge of the PCB to connect all the ground planes.

Hi Hugh,

I'm not a mechanical guy, so I'm certainly no expert on this. But I used to work in the aerospace industry, and I remember the problem from there. Back when they were using discrete, leaded components, all components with gold-plated leads had their leads dipped in a solder pot before being installed on the boards. I'm not sure why this helped, but that's what they did.

Andy,

I'd guess it's a phase change issue, which is related to how quickly the solder cools. Dipped into a solder pot, the temperatures are more uniform through the lead, and will thus cool slower on withdrawal, and this could reduce the embrittlement at subsequent installation because the operation would then be much quicker since it's already tinned.

Those microphotos were alarming, with shear lines like a broken ice sheet. No wonder the SMDs literally fell off the board.

Hugh

peranders said:
What do you think of my latest work?, 4-layer, gold pads

Looks good. Used a similar circuit for impedance transformations in long wave receivers to couple Hi-Z tuned loops to Lo-Z antenna connections. If you do the work right, pay attention to layout and component quality, it'll work from DC to ~100MHz. Quite a bit more than needed, but it's almost impossible to get overdrive that'll cause cross modulations.

So, is that what you're doing here?

Re: Re: Diamond Buffer - Super Buffer

Miles Prower said:

Looks good. Used a similar circuit for impedance transformations in long wave receivers to couple Hi-Z tuned loops to Lo-Z antenna connections. If you do the work right, pay attention to layout and component quality, it'll work from DC to ~100MHz. Quite a bit more than needed, but it's almost impossible to get overdrive that'll cause cross modulations.

So, is that what you're doing here?
Audio and audio requires more. Why? More is better and also it even sounds better :nod:

Thanks everyone for the positive words.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.