Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

TGM Amplifier ?
TGM Amplifier ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2009, 03:53 PM   #111
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

TGM Amplifier ?
The reality of being given 16 feet of unused heatsink starts to 'sink in' once you have to start cutting it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1872ff.jpg (69.6 KB, 534 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 12th April 2009, 04:29 PM   #112
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Gareth,
What are you using to cut it?
I've seen some really dangerous stuff here when it comes to cutting aluminum. One member lost the tips of 2 fingers and did severe nerve damage cutting aluminum on a tablesaw.

I do quite a bit of cutting aluminum, both in my line of work and in this hobby. Many here compare it to cutting wood, and though it is relatively soft and easy to cut, it has a way of sticking to blades and teeth that can cause it to bind and kick back. Not cool to interrupt a fine Sunday morning with a visit to the emergency room to have things sticked up (or worse).
Old 12th April 2009, 04:34 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

TGM Amplifier ?
No way I'm putting my nice new plywood finishing blade through this heatsink. I use a jigsaw, slowish but controlled.

Many years ago I put a high speed drill through my thumb. First off I thought I'd just knicked it, went to the sink to run it under the tap. Thing was, blood was flowing into the sink but the entrance wound was clear. After looking under my thumb and noticing the exit wound I realized what I'd done and promptly turned white - my sister had to quickly put a chair under me
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 12th April 2009, 04:53 PM   #114
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigun
No way I'm putting my nice new plywood finishing blade through this heatsink. I use a jigsaw, slowish but controlled.

Many years ago I put a high speed drill through my thumb.

Jigsaw

I've been a carpenter for nearly 25 years and had my share of mishaps, so I feel your pain. I still have all of my fingers though

PS: I sent you an email.
Old 14th April 2009, 01:03 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

TGM Amplifier ?
I don't know if this image is clear, but it is my 2nd attempt at toner transfer for making this pcb. If you can see what I can see (!) it's unsuitable for etching. The toner has poor coverage. It is stuck to the surface nicely and there's virtually no bits missing. Lots of pin holes.

I suspect that the issue is the toner. I'm using a Brother laser printer and I've heard that other people have had issues when putting them to use for this purpose

However, I did buy a Dremel today, always wanted one and drilling the pcb gave me the excuse.

Also on the upside, you get to see the logo I've designed for this thing (a tenuous connection to my Forbidden Planet theme, TGM = 'The Great Machine' and the doorway to the Krell lab was this shape....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1877 copy.jpg (95.1 KB, 513 views)
Old 14th April 2009, 10:50 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

TGM Amplifier ?
PCB was cleaned off. Wire wool until it gleamed. Acetone again.

Used Xerox laser printer instead, image looks good on the transfer paper.

But results still poor, looks like same kind of issues from first time around. Tried twice: Ironing long and hard verses less hard and for a shorter time didn't reveal any improvements except that ironing for a shorter time results in poor adhesion.

Could the toner be unsuitable from both printers ?

There must be something I'm missing here
Old 15th April 2009, 05:57 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

TGM Amplifier ?
Default Version 1.6

Playing with the first version design.

Instead of 'upgrading' the LTP to one with a current source, why not use the same method as applied to the VAS - apply some bootstrap from the output. This is only a resistor and less complicated than adding a device, LED etc.

I can try this without changing the pcb layout since there are quite a few unused spots on the layout if making version 1 to being with.

Thoughts ??
Old 15th April 2009, 06:26 PM   #118
Lumba Ogir is offline Lumba Ogir  Sweden
Banned

Gareth,
Quote:
Thoughts ??
Yes! It`s a step backwards. I'm for an active solution in both places.
Old 15th April 2009, 07:48 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

TGM Amplifier ?
Lumba, ...you will think me a bad student. I should have pointed out that the version 1 is the 'play-with-me' amplifier, the one that's for me to see what makes AKSA sound nice (I have lofty goals) even though we only guess at what AKSA design is (doesn't this make it more fun ?). It is supposed to have a front-end that is not designed for measured excellence.

The later versions, which my pcb is designed for, have all the improvements we discussed and I'm especially excited about JFET option
Old 16th April 2009, 12:14 AM   #120
mightydub is offline mightydub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigun
PCB was cleaned off. Wire wool until it gleamed. Acetone again.

Used Xerox laser printer instead, image looks good on the transfer paper.

But results still poor, looks like same kind of issues from first time around. Tried twice: Ironing long and hard verses less hard and for a shorter time didn't reveal any improvements except that ironing for a shorter time results in poor adhesion.

Could the toner be unsuitable from both printers ?

There must be something I'm missing here
I get excellent, no fuss results printing onto laser printer transparencies and using a fluorescent lamp to expose boards pre-coated with photo resist.

You tradeoff the higher cost of pre-coated boards vs. buying expensive toner transfer paper and the hassle of polishing the copper, ironing, and then doing it over when the toner transfer didn't quite work.

TGM Amplifier ?Hide this!Advertise here!