TOSHIBA 2SK4108 any good for hi power amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Im wondering if I can use the 2SK4108 in an class AB1 audio amp, or is there a problem with this type of mosfet?

I need to make 4 amps to produce 700 W rms into 8 ohms each, capable of peak power of 4 times that (2.8kW). In the past ive made some pretty high power amps from collections of the maplin mosfet amps but I have run out of the mosfets now, and replacements seem expensive.

Im thinking of the following design: 2 bridged amps for each channel, each amp with rails of +- 105V. While running at 700 W RMS a single channel like this would dissipate 1250W in the 2 amps according to my calculations - I think - 312 W per amp per rail. If I used 3 of the above mosfets for each rail/amp, this would be 104 W per device (which can take 150W each at 20A, 500V). Meaning each bridged amp needs 12 devices, each is about 2 pounds, so each amp capable of 2.8kW peak, 700W rms would need 24 pounds worth of devices. Which is affordable.

My question is, if anyone on here can answer it, are these mosfets suitable for building high power audio amps? I seem to remember reading on this forum once, that certain mosfets were not suitable - was it hexfets? Or lateral mosfets or something.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.