Have you heard of American Audio???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Is anybody familiar with the brand "American Audio"? I saw a power amp made by them at a local store and I am tempted to buy. Its the VLP300 ( http://www.adjaudio.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=1276&cat=Amps ).
Its at a nice price and its very very solid, its quite weighty for its size and power. Nicely built, doesn't feel cheap at all.
I just want to make sure im not buying something that will soon become a paper weight. This will be for just general purpose listening when i feel like cranking up the volume, not really for critical listening.

Anyone dealt with this brand before?
Any opinions/thoughts?

Thanks

Lawrence

American Audio are aimed at the mobile disco market, they used to be called American DJ but split the brand into two. As a branding company, they have their stuff made all over the place by different OEMs..for different countries markets, so it's difficult to give a general answer on their products.

It's a chinese made amp with an importer's brand on the panel.

The amp is slow: 15v/usec and high in harmonic distortion, 0.1%

I was offered some chinese product - I declined because they refused to provide a schematic - but the parts count (output transistors, and the size of the power supply toroid (this was a ~500w/8ohm version) made it attactive from the point of view of dumping in a new (good design) driver board and then a new front panel and selling it as a different product. I didn't feel like reverse engineering the amp, so screw it I said.

The idea is that it will make sound, and MIGHT, depending on the internals be a useful basis for building ur own bipolar class AB power amp into this chassis.

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.