Sony FH-B7CD / KSS-240A problem (for Anatech)

Hi,

I just created a user ID hoping to get in touch with You (Anatech). I'm located in Mississauga, and I need help/advice from You.

I have an older Sony FH-B7CD mini component system, and my CD unit is acting up. It started skipping almost 10 years ago, and I bought a brand new KSS-240A pickup module, installed it and everything seemed fine again. However, not even 6 months later it started again.

I didn't want to bother with it again, so I bought a new system. The other day (10 years later) I decided to have another look inside, and I noticed a clicking noise coming from the pick up which is apparently caused by some gain control.

As I searched the internet for possible solutions this web site came up: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=90009

It's a very nice unit, I like it a lot and would like to have it fixed rather than throw it away.

Can You help me please?

Robert

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Robert,
The good news is that you're pretty close to me.

The other day (10 years later) I decided to have another look inside, and I noticed a clicking noise coming from the pick up which is apparently caused by some gain control.
Probably not caused by a gain control adjustment. This is one of those things you need to look at to tell what's going on. That head is pre-adjusted at the factory. No touchy the controls. The laser diode APC diode control is one of those three pots. You really don't want to touch anything on the head.

Now, it is possible you got a defective head, where did you buy it from? Global can be scary.

Now for the sad news. That CD transport you have there is a high end transport these days.

-Chris

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not quite sure if I touched those 3 pots, I might have :-(

I bought the pickup brand new from a Sony parts supplier, not far from the Sony HQ in North York. It was $80, 10 years ago, gee....

When it started acting up again after 6 months of running, I might have attempted to make little adjustments left and right, but I was kinda careful not to go extremes. At that time I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to touch these. And, at first i didn't, only when it started acting up, again, I think.....

Is there a fix for this?

R.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Richard,
Okay, you got the parts from a good source. I can't remember their name, but I used to buy my Sony parts there as well.

Those three pots normally have paint on them to prevent the controls from changing position during handling. If you have moved them, I might possibly be able to correct that. The only problem is that you may have increased the laser power to a point where it died quickly. If that is the case, the only fix is a new head.

The only way to figure this stuff out is to examine your machine. Too bad someone hadn't told you that servicing a CD player is not as simple as replacing the head. Do you still have the original head? It may very well be fine. Bad laser heads are not the main reason CD players run into trouble.

Just curious. How did you come to look for me??

-Chris

Well, 10+ years ago (maybe more) there wasn't Internet as it is today, I had no one to turn to. Somebody told me that Sony laser pickups were much weaker and more prone to failure than others (ie. Pioneer, Toshiba etc.) so I figured that must be it.

Bought a new one, installed it, worked for a while, and it started skipping again. Factory CDs didn't skip as much as CD-R, I figured the laser was getting weaker.

The other day I decided to pull this baby out of the storage, and give it another go. I replaced all the belts, blew all the dust out, slightly oiled the mechanism, everything is top notch other than the CD drive :(

So, I decided to search for an answer and came across a few posts you were part of, and it seemed you knew what you were talking about. The bonus was that you are 15 away from Mississauga, and I'm praying you can help me :)

I wanted to e-mail you directly, but this forum wouldn't let me. I had to register to get here. Can't PM either, and I'm being moderated as a new user. All this hassle to get in touch with You ;)

Anyhow, I don't want to waste other user's time, I'd like to ask you if you would be kind enough to e-mail me your phone number, so I could call you at your convenience, get an advice which way to go.

This unit is 19 years old and has a sentimental value for me. If it could be fixed for a reasonable $$ and within reasonable time frame, I would be willing to go for it.

I'm asking for your knowledge and help.

Robert

robert at ica dot net

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Robert,
Somebody told me that Sony laser pickups were much weaker and more prone to failure than others (ie. Pioneer, Toshiba etc.) so I figured that must be it.
Man, too bad. Someone has no idea what they were talking about! It cost you unfortunately. If you still have the old head, let's check it.

Anyhow, I don't want to waste other user's time
Actually, you aren't. What you are going through might well help someone else. I have repaired many CD players "that needed a new laser". Most didn't and the customers saved money by getting a second opinion. Most inexperienced technicians will quote the most expensive part they can think of. For TV's, they mostly needed picture tubes or flybacks. Sometimes that was even true!

I modified your email address so that bots couldn't get it. you don't want junk mail, do you?

Anyway, I have no problem in having a look at it for you. I don't think the laser head was bad. Right now I'm pretty busy, but a month should be okay. I'll test your worst CD and CDR to see if they are okay as well.

-Chris

…Actually, you aren't. What you are going through might well help someone else.
Dear Anatech (Chris),

I’ve just purchased a replacement to my lost Sony FH-B7CD with a FH-B70CD. Appears to look exactly like the other except for the speakers.

I just bought it off eBay with the excitement that everything works, and it actually does. There’s one hiccup, the CD will skip if there’s any shake or vibration around the unit. plays great otherwise.

I wanted to know my options with this unit. I’ve looked forward over a decade for a replacement system and wanted to know what I’m dealing with and my options; if I need to replace the optical head, repair it.

Also wanted to know if you still do repairs.

thanks,
Johnny

Attachments

• 706D5364-8164-4BD7-B056-404C54DE7AF7.jpeg
    706D5364-8164-4BD7-B056-404C54DE7AF7.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 75
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Johnny,
Well, that is what is called a "lifestyle" product. They are more difficult to work on as a rule. Often the components need the rest of the system or main unit for them to work if you take it in to service.

Your issue might be caused by the laser head assembly, but it may also have cracked guides that would tend to throw out the alignment of the laser beam. By now the bearings on the disc motor might be worn and if you replace the head I would recommend the disc motor should be done as well.

I still do service, thank you. If you bring it in I wouldn't want the speakers. Most techs would advise the same as we have bench speakers for that purpose.

Thanks Chris, that’s what I figured. Maybe my next trip to Michigan, I’ll detour over to your area. The CD works for now.

Another thing I forgot is that there’s no battery, or capacitor, to save the memory of the radio stations you enter when you unplug it from power. I moved it to the garage to listen while working on the car and all 26 stations I saved went,… “poof!” 😂

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Johnny,
Okay, that might work. If you control how it crosses the border it would be a great deal less expensive for you. It just drives me nuts when outsiders add to the cost of getting a simple job done. It isn't fair, and it isn't right. Getting taxes and duties back like they say you can is a crap shoot. It takes time, effort and at least 50% of the time you don't get the money back. I don't mind paying taxes and duties on things that come in to stay, but for a repair that is leaving the country again it is just plain wrong. Mind you, I have a massive issue with paying tax on used equipment since governments have already received their cut when it was purchased new.

Your memory issue should be repairable. It's either a lithium cell, or chemical capacitor that needs replacement.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi deadpool,
One of my favorite movie characters by the way ...

Your statement is true of any fault in any unit using smd caps. Amplifiers or anything. In fact, leaky caps (smd or leaded or with terminals) can cause any number of faults in any type of electronic circuit. Your comment isn't especially helpful.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi deadpool,
Thanks, much better info. I'm always on the lookout for leaky capacitors. This is an issue with leaded and surface mount parts. Very familiar with "that smell" and it's problems. Cleaning conductive residue is a big pain. That residue is invisible unless you see corrosion damage (then it's bad). It isn't unusual to have to depopulate a PCB in the area of one of these capacitors in order to clean that stuff up.

Sony flex PCBs are famous. I hate them with a passion.

Best, Chris