NAD 304 integrated amp one channel fading problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Merci pour ces mots en français.
N'oublions pas que que le Canada est aussi peuplé de personnes qui partagent cette langue avec nous et je les salue.

English translation:
Thank you for these few words in french.
Some Canadians share this language with us and I'm happy to say a big hello to them.

I ordered the Omron relay and resistors. I will give it a shot. However, when I turn the balance pot to left I can hear sound from the right channel. Do you think it is related to the relay? I looks at the balance pot, it has 4 pin which ALPS doesn't carry this type of pot anymore. Based on the PCB, it seems like 2 pins are connected to the ground. Do you guy ever have this problem before?

SAUDADE said:
Hello every one,
Hello Highspeed,

I'm sorry for coming back on this relay subject.

This relay JW2SN-DC24V you recommend isn't that easy to get, except if you're a professional. I've been on sites selling electronics for amateurs and can't find the exact matching specifications in other models.

Here are thes specs for the

Panasonic JW2SN-DC24V you recommend

Technical/Catalog Information: JW2SN-DC24V
Vendor: Panasonic Electric Works
Category: Relays
Relay Type: General Purpose
Mounting Type: Through Hole
Termination Style: PC Pin
Circuit: DPDT (2 Form C)
Contact Rating @ Voltage: 5A @ 250VAC
Coil Voltage: 24VDC
Control Off Voltage (Min): 2.4 VDC
Control On Voltage (Max): 16.8 VDC
Coil Current: 22mA
Coil Type: Standard
Lead Free Status: Lead Free
RoHS Status: RoHS Compliant
Other Names: JW2SN DC24V
JW2SNDC24V
255 1118 ND
2551118ND
255-1118

Just to confirm. This is where I bought the relay.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...Vvirtualkey66710000virtualkey769-JW2ASN-DC24V

This relay works like a charm. I just had time to replace the relay and it fixed my problem totally.

** I think somebody mention about servicing the old relay. I saw that I can take a cover off the old one. It was not sealed.

For person who wants to change the volume potentiometer, I realized the height of the legs are taller than the regular pot so I have to find the way to extend the legs. others have the same height (Balance, Bass, Treble)

I did changed the Balance Potentiometer also. From the diagram the 4th leg link to the ground so I can use the regular 3-leg 10K linear pot and it solved another problem.

What a happy ending except for the Volume pot. Cheers! and Thanks you guys for information.

:smash:

NAD 304 power cut out

Guys,

I made use of this great information to fix my much used NAD 304 earlier this year. I replaced the relay with a new Finder unit.

Now, have just moved house (I still have the original box and was very careful) and have run into another issue....

When I turn on my amp, the green light comes on after a few moments, together with the click of the relay. However after a few minutes the power just cuts out and never comes back on. If I turn off and come back an hour later, then the same problem occurs.

Any ideas?

Hi kbook, thanks for your comment, I checked the transformer a few days ago and it is still giving output. I did not look at the diode bridge, I will have a look at it, though I'm not sure how a diode bridge works. I was wondering about the thermal switches mounted on the heat sink, maybe one has drifted and switches off the output.

Hi kbook, thanks for your comment, I checked the transformer a few days ago and it is still giving output. I did not look at the diode bridge, I will have a look at it, though I'm not sure how a diode bridge works. I was wondering about the thermal switches mounted on the heat sink, maybe one has drifted and switches off the output.

Do you have the service manual? so you can go thru the maintenance procedures like checking the bias.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The diode bridge's job is to convert AC to DC. Bridge came from how the diodes are connected. Basically, it uses 4 rectifier diodes but diode bridge does have in a package already so it has 4 legs with + and - for DC output and the two ~ for AC input.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody,

I have the same problem(s) with my 304. After a few minutes listening Music - it stops and the frontside diode turned into red and never back into green. Since I´m a German my English might be bad - but I want to keep my 304 - can anybody give me a help.
Is it possible that the former posted "relay" thing is responsible for this problem as well??
Thanks

Jörg

I have the same issue here. I find it hard to find the same pin configuration here in Sweden.

Would this work in any way? Specifications seems ok.
https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/webroot/Z_P_IMAGE/b7362ed0-783a-11dc-a67c-0019bbdf5d02.jpg

Antal poler: 2
Kontaktfunktion: Changeover
Spolspänning: 24 V ac
Spolresistans: 253 Ω
Brytförmåga ac: 5 A @ 250 V
Brytförmåga dc: 5 A @ 30 V
Kontaktmaterial: AgNi
Montering: Socket
Längd: 29 mm
Bredd: 13 mm
Höjd: 35.5 mm

I have the same issue here. I find it hard to find the same pin configuration here in Sweden.

Would this work in any way? Specifications seems ok.
https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/webroot/Z_P_IMAGE/b7362ed0-783a-11dc-a67c-0019bbdf5d02.jpg

Antal poler: 2
Kontaktfunktion: Changeover
Spolspänning: 24 V ac
Spolresistans: 253 Ω
Brytförmåga ac: 5 A @ 250 V
Brytförmåga dc: 5 A @ 30 V
Kontaktmaterial: AgNi
Montering: Socket
Längd: 29 mm
Bredd: 13 mm
Höjd: 35.5 mm

I use this panasonic, the omron I ordered is smaller than I thought so I use my Panasonic. This will fit the NAD 304 for sure.

JW2ASN-DC24V Panasonic Electric Works General Purpose / Industrial Relays

Look like they have a sweden website also. Check it out.
http://se.mouser.com/

Hi NAD 304,

Which diode are you referring to, the power or soft clipping indicator? Actually the amp turns off when either goes red. When my 304 had fading output back then, it was the soft clipping diode that went red and when it happenned, it didn't make any difference later whether soft clipping was switched on / off, whichever way the distortion was there and was only gone after the repairs were done.

Anyway, the 304 is a great amp as far as I'm concerned. I've used many amps since I went into audio, (no receivers, only integrateds) from the old sansui's up to whatever came out in the market, and I stopped at the 304.It looks canny - compact and very basic, no complications - but it sounds like a tube amp or other high-end SS amps. From my experience with the 304, you can blast it at different db's and whatever speakers are connected to it seem to take and adjust to its delivering power.

I want to thank everyone in this thread for the valuable information.. As you may have guessed I'm another owner of this amp who made the repair. I had many "fade out" and "interrupt" or "weak sound problems" and solved them with only 5 euros cost.
I used this relay Relay
along with this base Relay Base
(I used the base for easy mounting in the future..)
I also changed r333 r334 resistors with 47K 1W.
My amp is working great again thanks to your help and a friend of mine (who did the soldering thing) :)

Hi Folks,

Firstly - thank you very much for the information about a fading 304. My beloved amp is 15 years old, and has just started doing the same thing.

I am about to order a new relay and i would like to ask some questions.

How easy is it to replace the relay? Can a novice do it, or should i take the amp to an electrical store? Will i need any special tools etc?

Many thanks for your help

Yes you need special tools.And someone with basic knowledge of electronics to do the soldering. It is very easy if you have the tools required.

Hello there dismantled, geopapa's correct both ways, basic knowledge and special tools. Your amp being 15 years old is of no issue, things with quality age with grace, and that's the NAD 304! It's integrated pre-main amp circuit can even drive hi-output voiceboxes on its own, of course up to certain levels, but who's actually blasting their coils to their limits when listening at home?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.