National opamp inflation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
audioman54 said:

National decided a couple of years ago that Solar / energy efficient parts are the wave of the future.

The mgmt guys have invested in a religion...i've been investing and trading semi and chemical stocks for 35+ years and this (management strategy) is always a recipe for disaster, always and everywhere.

Nothing wrong with efficiency -- some call it stewardship, others call it profitability!

jackinnj said:

The mgmt guys have invested in a religion...i've been investing and trading semi and chemical stocks for 35+ years and this (management strategy) is always a recipe for disaster, always and everywhere.

Nothing wrong with efficiency -- some call it stewardship, others call it profitability!

You didn't really need 35 yr to figure out energy in > energy out. :) . Solar is great when you have no choice, I love it off grid. National's strategy violates one of my primal rules never bet on a tweak to a basicly losing proposition.

Scott;
now I know why ancient Egyptians worshiped Sun and believed that Gods ruled them. And what Pyramids were used for, and why they were shiny as a mirror. And I know what happened to that civilization of Gods: they forgot what for scientists and engineers are needed; only marketing departments and managers (Gods and Pharaohs) left, and some support technicians (so called Ancient Egyptian Priests)...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Schwaller de Lubicz

scott wurcer said:
Wavebourn, you need to read Schwaller de Lubicz. It might even get you into KBK's inner circle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._A._Schwaller_de_Lubicz

I would have never thought he would make it to a diyAudio thread. But then do I have to admit to having hardbound copies of The Temple of Man and The Temple at Karnak???

BTW, lousy Wikipedia article. But then maybe too much OT.

janneman said:

But then again, as a Pharao, what would you do with all that power? You can only burn so many subjects at the stake per day ;)

Can't you imagine class A amps in Ancient Egypt Jan? I have a thread in the Tube forum, as you know. :cool:

Since they have enough of solar energy they did not need to develop symmetrical opamps. They used vacuum tubes with silicone carbide output transistors.

janneman said:

The asp...??

Elizabeth Taylor demonstrates for Rex Harrison:

Attachments

• asp.jpg
    asp.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 915
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jackinnj said:
Cleopatra committed suicide by placing a poisonous snake (an asp) on her bosom. Elizabeth Taylor, as Cleopatra, appeared in her "all-together" in the 1963 movie which also featured Richard Burton and Rex Harrison.

Here's an engraving from the Rijksmuseum:
http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/collectie/zoeken/asset.jsp?id=RP-P-OB-4191&lang=en

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2952724505/

Ahhh! Thanks, I didn't know that an asp was a snake or even an animal...
De Rijksmuseum I know of course. Our national pride (one of them ;) .

jd

Attachments

• asp.jpg
    asp.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 914
Nelson Pass said:

I have just started shipping product using the Silicon Carbide power
JFETs from SemiSouth. In linear circuits I'm getting much greater
linearity than Mosfets, with distortion as much as 1/10 in Class A
applications.

Thanks Nelson! Because they are so unique, and I think might appeal to many here, I have started a new thread to discuss the SiC JFETs here:

SemiSouth Power SiC JFETs

LME49713

I just got an Assemblage Dac 2 and I though I would tube roll a bit.
It currently has AD811an's doing the I/V conversion and AD817's filtering. I was thinking the hat version of the LME49713 for I/V, but I'm not sure about the filtering. I'm running it through a a battery powered pre-amp.
The reason I'm hot on the LM/LME is that I recently replaced an AD826 in the preamp (the only opamp in the preamp) with a a LME49860 (not the Ha) and I was astounded at how much better it was, at least in this particular set up. I have a battery powered LiTe TDA1542 dac in the same case, and even that sounded great.
Ideas?

Thanks

MK

MK,

My first message on the new board (which looks just like my Shelby GT500 forum boards? It is a standard upgrade package now for these types of forums/discussion groups?)

Yes, use the 49713 in place of the 811! In fact I specified the 49713 around the AD811 (orig the AD9610 metal can) specs. It is a perfect fit! I have 600 AD811's in the orig tubes if anyone wants any for a great price?

If you need a VFB opamp then the single metal can LME49710 is the way to go. I prefer the sound of the CFB's but there are places they don't work well. Like in diff to single ended circuits!

Mark / Audioman54

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.