static shocker maybe?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
:rolleyes: Since I fitted an Alps blue...Not the best pot in the world....scratchy from the start, there sending me another..I trust?

Been experiencing distortion troubles, all down to the pot, Fitted the usual earth ring betwixt pot front and chassis ground, improved matters..Dont need any assistance just to share this odd phenomenon?

when playing music, after say five minutes..it starts the wobbly distorted sound, If I get up.. to approach the amp...it suddenly as if by magic stops!:bigeyes:

Good job I didnt do the shunt mod!:rolleyes:

Anyone ever taken an alps blue velvet apart? what a load of cra.......*!

maybe a bad pot...maybe a bad cap

Often, if there's DC on the pot, it will behave as you describe.
A leaky coupling cap could do this. Of course, it could be a bad
pot...Perhaps you could check for DC voltage on the top of the pot...
this also might be tough given the flakey nature of what you describe.
Good luck hunting.

under normal conditions an electrolytic should not have enough leakage to do what you describe. a bad electrolytic will. you may get into trouble replacing a 150uf electrolytic with a poly. the extra lead length will act as an antenna. 1.5" (3.3cm) is about right to act as a 1/4 wave antenna at 2.4Ghz which is where a lot of wireless network stuff runs. if you include the cap body (the cap itself acts as a nice antenna, very efficient since the conductor diameter is now over 1/10 wave) you start getting into the 1/4 wave length of cell phones, etc...

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
AH!

Funny you should say the uncJed ....I swapped two short axial output caps with chuffing great 4cm radials just before the ....er... That pot:xeye:

I had no idea!:D

How to rectify the situation? I like the sound with the new caps, broader soundstage......Dont really want a filter coz ive spent lots of time removing all the extraneous junk from within..Havent even got a humble LED! One input..one out.............

:xeye:

Hi,
which is worse?
the sound you need or the interference you don't need.
Just choose.
It's called compromise.

You can also design out much of the interference, but, that requires you to make more compromises, like putting back some of your offending components put in there to reject the interference.
alps blue velvet apart? what a load of cra.
are you ready to apologise to Alps and to our Members for posting misleading information?

Alps makes good pots, and bad ones. you get what you pay for. i once bought some 20k 10-turn pots by Spectrol for a PLL mod in a SSB radio. Spectrol makes some really good pots, and i couldn't believe the price i got these for...... well, i soon found out why the "great bargain"...... they drifted with DC across them (the pots were being used as a to fine adjust the VCO tuning voltage), but the Spectrol pots that were twice as expensive didn;t.

Aye U'J!!!!!

After a few testabouts....I'm still erring on a flaky pot..BUT!:rolleyes:

Ive sent off for some new caps/clips / shielding what'nots.... when these arrive... We dive at 0.700 hours...

give me a chance to sort out a few other things I'm not happy with also..

Got some posh resistors for a shunt mod too...they'll probably end up unused after reading the DIY'A shunt thread ... the myth /placebo....or not?

:apathic:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.