Passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi im looking for some advice please, im planing to make a passive pre to control my pc's soundcard output.
Im hoping it will drive a Naim NAP140 to a decent volume. Im thinking alps blue for the volume pot but im unsure which value to get - im looking at probably either 50 or 100k value, can anyone help.

Cheers

The higher the pot value the more the cable to the amp will affect the highs. The input circuitry of the amp will also affect the outcome. A lower value is better but if too low it will load the output of the sound card making it work harder = more distortion. So it is a balancing act. The general consensus with solid state gear is 10k.

Thanks Fredex, im planning on using some of DNM's new interconnect wire for internal wiring because thats what im using for the rest of my inters so keeping capacitance low.
Stunning wire IMO, so's his new speaker cable.
BTW, any tips on where i can source a quality pot with that low a value?

I don't know how good or bad the PC's soundcard output is, so I suggest you cobble together a very cheap 10k pot with DC blocking cap on the input and a high value grounding resistor from the wiper.
Keep your cables as short as possible (less than 1m) for this first test set up.

If you get a sound that seems acceptable then try to source a better attenuator that suits the PC source and suits the Naim load.

Thanks all, it appears that most if not all Naim poweramps have an input impedance of 18k.
Not sure about the soundcard, i did'nt fit it but im told it's decent,
Creative Audio PCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM) - at least thats what my pc tells me is fitted, makes no sense to me at all may as well be in urdu or chinglish.
So what value pot suits an 18k impedance?

Cheers

but the 25k source impedance of the 100k pot will demand a very low capacitance between pot and power amp.
40pF will create a filter with F-3dB = 16kHz
4pF will give a much more acceptable treble roll off characteristic.
What is the value of the RF filter capacitor inside the Naim?
What is the parasitic capacitance of the internal wiring and connectors in the Naim?

Sorry you've lost me with science, im a bit of a novice when it comes to electronics i flunked out of an electronics course in the early 90's and hav,nt advanced much since. I can solder well though but my previous experience is pretty basic, limited to kit building.
Sorry i've no idea what value the rf filter is or the parasitic capacitance. Can you provide a basic diagram of your proposed circuit with input blocking cap value and appropriate grounding resistor value please, if possable go for middle ground, i can change values later to get best sound. Hope im not being to simplistic but my knowlege is sketchy at best.

Cheers

I am sorry to say that your soundcard (what card btw?) will probably not drive your NAP140 well. This is not a question of input level and impedance alone. NAIM amps like to be "driven" (actually they must be driven) by a very load tolerant low impedance output. Soundcards are usually not very able to do that. Try it with a decent preamp or buffer and you will hear a massive difference. I have tried that with quite poor resulting sound without a preamp. It might be possible with a pro soundcard to use a passive pot alone.

To be honest, given that the Naim has a low input impedance, and soundcards don't really like driving low impedance loads (theyre designed to be connected to active speakers usually) then you would be far better off with an active preamp.

Although, if memory serves, that kind of soundcard does have an amp onboard that you can activate with jumpers. I wouldn't recommend it though as if memory serves it's a fairly average Philips chip amp.

An active preamp is not neccesarily a bad thing if correctly implemented. If you were building one, you could probably get away with a single opamp configured as a unity gain buffer to drive your pot, and then take this to the Naim amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.