Where I can find mica insulator MT-200?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Damn, the holiday season isn't over yet and Mr T looks like he needs another break again. :clown:

Hi Victor,

Mica MT200 insulators can be found, but they're usually pretty expensive.
I live about 5 miles from the BMM audio parts shop(if you can call it a shop), it used to sell MT200 insulators at a rate of around $3 each up to a couple of years ago.
The owner Jean Benoit told me he stopped offering them because the demand was too low to make it worthwhile:
www.bmm-electronics.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=727

There's an online electronics parts store in Canada that has Mica MT200 insulators at really affordable rates.
They even used to add a number of Micas for free if you ordered some MT200 devices from them.
The downside is that you'd have to buy a substantial number of parts to make the steep shipping costs worth it, they only ship internationally with expensive fancy pants services.

The thread you emailed me about was a scam.
I offered to buy 500 of the MT200 Micas for several interested members overhere, but the guy in the Philippines wanted me to send him cash US$ currency.
The guy said he did not receive the money and asked me to send him dolares a second time. Yeah, Right !

If you do a google dive you'll find online vendors that offer Mica sheets, ranging from 4x4 inches to really giant sizes.
Those sheets are even very affordable, though not the highest quality mica.
There's quite a variety of mica grades, depending where it is coming from.
I've found Mica sheets easy to cut to size with a paper cutter board, holes in mica are also easy to punch.
Even easier if you DIY a punching mold from pieces of wood, aluminum or steel, the one i made punches holes in a stack of several micas in one go.

Other alternative is to look for JAP device mica insulators, those are large enough to rework and serve as MT200 insulators.
I've been building power amps with MT200 power devices for around 20 years now, finding Mica insulators for that package has always been a PITA.

Relax Max.

Nah, I'm sure it wasn't intentional, Andrew. :)

I (briefly) searched too but couldn't find an answer. These things might still exist but as mentioned, cutting them yourself will probably be the easiest way.
I fail to see how it could be made out of a TO3 insulator, though.

/Hugo

!

jacco vermeulen said:
Damn, the holiday season isn't over yet and Mr T looks like he needs another break again. :clown:

Hi Victor,

Mica MT200 insulators can be found, but they're usually pretty expensive.
I live about 5 miles from the BMM audio parts shop(if you can call it a shop), it used to sell MT200 insulators at a rate of around $3 each up to a couple of years ago.
The owner Jean Benoit told me he stopped offering them because the demand was too low to make it worthwhile:
www.bmm-electronics.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=727

There's an online electronics parts store in Canada that has Mica MT200 insulators at really affordable rates.
They even used to add a number of Micas for free if you ordered some MT200 devices from them.
The downside is that you'd have to buy a substantial number of parts to make the steep shipping costs worth it, they only ship internationally with expensive fancy pants services.

The thread you emailed me about was a scam.
I offered to buy 500 of the MT200 Micas for several interested members overhere, but the guy in the Philippines wanted me to send him cash US$ currency.
The guy said he did not receive the money and asked me to send him dolares a second time. Yeah, Right !

If you do a google dive you'll find online vendors that offer Mica sheets, ranging from 4x4 inches to really giant sizes.
Those sheets are even very affordable, though not the highest quality mica.
There's quite a variety of mica grades, depending where it is coming from.
I've found Mica sheets easy to cut to size with a paper cutter board, holes in mica are also easy to punch.
Even easier if you DIY a punching mold from pieces of wood, aluminum or steel, the one i made punches holes in a stack of several micas in one go.

Other alternative is to look for JAP device mica insulators, those are large enough to rework and serve as MT200 insulators.
I've been building power amps with MT200 power devices for around 20 years now, finding Mica insulators for that package has always been a PITA.

Relax Max.

$3 for one MT-200 insulator is too much!Demands was probably low because to high price.

I will continue to search on the web...

Plese send me adress od that store in Canada.

PacificSemi in Vancouver, they have an online order page but they only list semiconductors, you'll have to email them for micas.

Same deal with MatchaKnob in New York, you'd have to ask Steven or Jules about insulators in a separate email.

Yeah, $3/pc was over the top but various stores overhere sell MT200 devices for $15 or more the piece so it's all relative.

GRRRRRR I need to find a source for these! I could use 50 to 100 of them if i can get a decent price. One DIY'er was kind enough to sell me some overly large Mica's that just barely fit a MT-200 within millimeters. I don't like using them as you have to be deadly accurate lining them up. But they work in a pinch for a repair.

Finding Mica these days is getting harder and harder. Everything is going to that Sill-Pad material. which works fine for building, but I do repair work and you cannot remove a device from that stuff and have it survive! I have to replace the stuff all the time.

If someone finds a source that will ship to the US for a reasonable price, let me know. I will email the dakaware people and see what they say???

Zc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.