Stylish amp design . WIFE factor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KISS

If the amp needs more than one knob, the rest should be placed behind a panel. During operation, it should be a black or silver box with maybe one LED. That sort of box still looks like equipment but is completely nondescript. It doesn't attract attention to itself, and goes with any decor.

maybe a smoked acrylic front panel, on a hinge, covering all of the controls save maybe a volume knob (large looks simpler : ) ) and a headphone jack. Power amps basically look like this already.

I think a really groovy volume knob would be one from a variac.

What do you think?

Wife hates to see speakers around... they prefere sound invisible

Some of them loves when the sound is not playing too.

Big Magic to make them satisfied.... oh!..yes...go shopping with her.

They are lovely, mine one, for instance, is silent all time long during the 3 seconds a day she does not complain about something.

Wonderfull...observe her hands.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,177
All it really takes, is putting some effort into making an elegant design.

The above comment about just making anonymous simple boxes, is sure a no-go.
I can relate to those women, whom don't really feel like having a living room, that looks like something she saw on a factory tour of a motor manufacturer.

Something that could solve part of this, would be if people figured, that there is an option to make a prototype of the cabinet, step back, take a look, refine, or maybe reject and start over.

Mostly just about any piece of electronic equipment, is just tossed into a box that is big enough to fit.

Oh, and it just might help to actually ask what the respective woman thinks looks good :rolleyes:

Magura :)

actually an amp doesn't need any controls on the front panel. i don't use volume controls on an amp, i save that function for a preamp. the power switch can be on the back panel, along with a bridging switch if you decide you want one. a pair of signal/ clipping indicators behind a smoked plexiglas window would be about all you need on a front panel. for the preamp, keep the controls sparse and neatly and logically laid out (function switch on the left, then tone/filter controls, then volume and balance on the right. no level indicators, as your wife will probably think they look too tech or tacky.

An amplifier that looks alike a piece of furniture

A small table to telephone or some stand to lamps...well...cannot look alike eletronics.

Also small flat speakers, alike paint pictures into the wall... into not deep frames.... small speakers hidden behind curtain.... those things they like.... knobs, ligths, wires, switches are something they dislike, for sure.

regards,

Carlos

That actually seems like a good idea, asking what she likes.. hehe..
If one looks in my apartment, it's pretty obvious that i live here alone so I thought I might ask here if this could be ok, hmm or if so what could be enhanced,(some blinkenlights maybe?) (size is small due to switchmode powersupply)..
too bad I need the yamaha for dts decoding when watchin movies, hmm maybe I cold hide it somewhere..
(and maybe I could find something better than a pair of b.i.c venturi speaker to put the stuff on hmm )

Attachments

• hemmabio.jpg
    hemmabio.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,664
My wife doesn't care for my stereo stuff, and actually I don't blame her. At one point, she questioned why we needed 11 pairs of speakers in our living room. I suppose if all your equipment was unobtrusive, matched the decor of the room (or was even the same color) and didn't have ugly wires running all over the place it might help.

Let's see:

You have your gigantic 3500 watt "Jupiter Monstrosso" amps mounted on Custom diamond plate amp stands optimally placed away (9 feet?) from the wall, with your "Mamba Ultra-Platinum Firehose" speaker cables (cleverly held off the floor and supported by her grandmother's heirloom tea cups) snaking around behind your 600 pound Snurtz Audio "Ultra Infestation Mk IV" speakers with the "Special Pearl Pink Lustre" finish.

Then, of course, there's your "Pride and Joy" equipment rack, a diy'ers delight of salvaged 2X4s and unfinished, triple layered MDF with all your components mounted on specially cast high-density concrete stepping stones.

As you've selected only the finest components for your system, the range of colors, finishes and shapes are sure to captivate and astonish your wife's friends, or at least would have, except she never asks them over any longer.

However, your two or three friends that are really into audio, not only eat it up, but love coming over and reciting the latest Audio Rag's reviews and opinions, just exactly like they had been there themselves.

"I say Lanerdo, did you know that Rupert
Montair-Sweinslaughter over at Stereo-Fi Magazine had problems with that very same Turntable! It quite simply lacks that last bit of heavenly haze that brings you into the Concert Hall. Personally, I could never own one myself."

"Well Desmond, you certainly make a good point, and as the Vitality Omnipresent Turntable is only $167,000 and sounds so much better, it's quite the bargain actually.
Would you be a good fellow and pass the Caviar?"

Yes, it's probably a good thing that the only thing your Wife detests more that your system or your "Friends" are Colt 45's.

Oh Oh, I've got to go, I think I just heard somebody slapping a clip into a gunnnnnnnnnn...

Re: this amp ......

Magura said:
All it really takes, is putting some effort into making an elegant design.

The above comment about just making anonymous simple boxes, is sure a no-go.
I can relate to those women, whom don't really feel like having a living room, that looks like something she saw on a factory tour of a motor manufacturer.

Something that could solve part of this, would be if people figured, that there is an option to make a prototype of the cabinet, step back, take a look, refine, or maybe reject and start over.

Mostly just about any piece of electronic equipment, is just tossed into a box that is big enough to fit.

Oh, and it just might help to actually ask what the respective woman thinks looks good :rolleyes:

I can follow it. It should have a elegant timeless design. So if the buttons and knobs are hidden behind a Panel, in a very short time we will stop using it or get irritated as we need to flip the cover every time we are changing settings. More over a kid would proberly break the panel after some time.

The user interface should be elegant, simple and intuitive...

thinkbad said:
My woman dislike big unfished boxes with a "technical" look, be it loudspeakers or amplifiers.
She allways seems to prefer "cute" things in small packages ;)
Oddly enough, she like big panelspeakers :cool:

JB

Fever boxes and smaller is preferable... The large boxes and heatsink is man thing.. Testorone..

Magura said:
Well, just about anything, besides a square box, without bells and whistles, and you'll be fine with the Mrs.

sakis said:
all ready given away to costumers about 10pcs actually 4 of them were women any way ....and prooved that except others this amplifier has a very high ( WAF ) ( WIFE ACCEPTANCE FACTOR ):smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

MADE OF WOOD AND GLASS
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I agree, it is a beautifull design, but for a danish living room it will not fit in.

A smaller design means the use of SMPS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.