Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Stylish amp design . WIFE factor
Stylish amp design . WIFE factor
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Uncle Jed, we follow the same school, no knobs, no buttons!!!
Old 13th July 2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Well, just about anything, besides a square box, without bells and whistles, and you'll be fine with the Mrs.

Magura
Old 13th July 2008, 09:33 AM   #13
nikwal is offline nikwal  Sweden
diyAudio Member

That actually seems like a good idea, asking what she likes.. hehe..
If one looks in my apartment, it's pretty obvious that i live here alone so I thought I might ask here if this could be ok, hmm or if so what could be enhanced,(some blinkenlights maybe?) (size is small due to switchmode powersupply)..
too bad I need the yamaha for dts decoding when watchin movies, hmm maybe I cold hide it somewhere..
(and maybe I could find something better than a pair of b.i.c venturi speaker to put the stuff on hmm )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hemmabio.jpg (60.8 KB, 1645 views)
Old 13th July 2008, 09:40 AM   #14
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

My wife doesn't care for my stereo stuff, and actually I don't blame her. At one point, she questioned why we needed 11 pairs of speakers in our living room. I suppose if all your equipment was unobtrusive, matched the decor of the room (or was even the same color) and didn't have ugly wires running all over the place it might help.

Let's see:

You have your gigantic 3500 watt "Jupiter Monstrosso" amps mounted on Custom diamond plate amp stands optimally placed away (9 feet?) from the wall, with your "Mamba Ultra-Platinum Firehose" speaker cables (cleverly held off the floor and supported by her grandmother's heirloom tea cups) snaking around behind your 600 pound Snurtz Audio "Ultra Infestation Mk IV" speakers with the "Special Pearl Pink Lustre" finish.

Then, of course, there's your "Pride and Joy" equipment rack, a diy'ers delight of salvaged 2X4s and unfinished, triple layered MDF with all your components mounted on specially cast high-density concrete stepping stones.

As you've selected only the finest components for your system, the range of colors, finishes and shapes are sure to captivate and astonish your wife's friends, or at least would have, except she never asks them over any longer.

However, your two or three friends that are really into audio, not only eat it up, but love coming over and reciting the latest Audio Rag's reviews and opinions, just exactly like they had been there themselves.

"I say Lanerdo, did you know that Rupert
Montair-Sweinslaughter over at Stereo-Fi Magazine had problems with that very same Turntable! It quite simply lacks that last bit of heavenly haze that brings you into the Concert Hall. Personally, I could never own one myself."

"Well Desmond, you certainly make a good point, and as the Vitality Omnipresent Turntable is only $167,000 and sounds so much better, it's quite the bargain actually.
Would you be a good fellow and pass the Caviar?"

Yes, it's probably a good thing that the only thing your Wife detests more that your system or your "Friends" are Colt 45's.

Oh Oh, I've got to go, I think I just heard somebody slapping a clip into a gunnnnnnnnnn...
Old 13th July 2008, 11:37 AM   #15
east electronics is offline east electronics  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default this amp ......

all ready given away to costumers about 10pcs actually 4 of them were women any way ....and prooved that except others this amplifier has a very high ( WAF ) ( WIFE ACCEPTANCE FACTOR )

MADE OF WOOD AND GLASS
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 13th July 2008, 11:48 AM   #16
Juergen Knoop is offline Juergen Knoop  Germany
diyAudio Member

sakis, please show us the preamp!
regards
Old 13th July 2008, 12:13 PM   #17
east electronics is offline east electronics  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default sorry george .....

Quote:
Originally posted by Juergen Knoop
sakis, please show us the preamp!
regards
i have never constructed preamplifiers ...... i have ediction with amps....... like uncle charly .....

but i dont see why not fit a preamplifier also in this sassi

regards sakis
Old 13th July 2008, 01:24 PM   #18
Buckapound is offline Buckapound  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's one approach, used for a small Tripath project. Oval on top is finely perforated for venting. Obviously a different approach would be needed for the space-heater type of amplifier.

Boxes have no personality!

--Buckapound
Attached Images
File Type: jpg framp2amr.jpg (85.2 KB, 1471 views)
Old 13th July 2008, 01:29 PM   #19
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: this amp ......

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura
All it really takes, is putting some effort into making an elegant design.

The above comment about just making anonymous simple boxes, is sure a no-go.
I can relate to those women, whom don't really feel like having a living room, that looks like something she saw on a factory tour of a motor manufacturer.

Something that could solve part of this, would be if people figured, that there is an option to make a prototype of the cabinet, step back, take a look, refine, or maybe reject and start over.

Mostly just about any piece of electronic equipment, is just tossed into a box that is big enough to fit.

Oh, and it just might help to actually ask what the respective woman thinks looks good

Magura
I can follow it. It should have a elegant timeless design. So if the buttons and knobs are hidden behind a Panel, in a very short time we will stop using it or get irritated as we need to flip the cover every time we are changing settings. More over a kid would proberly break the panel after some time.

The user interface should be elegant, simple and intuitive...

Quote:
Originally posted by thinkbad
My woman dislike big unfished boxes with a "technical" look, be it loudspeakers or amplifiers.
She allways seems to prefer "cute" things in small packages
Oddly enough, she like big panelspeakers

JB
Fever boxes and smaller is preferable... The large boxes and heatsink is man thing.. Testorone..

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura
Well, just about anything, besides a square box, without bells and whistles, and you'll be fine with the Mrs.

Magura

Quote:
Originally posted by sakis
all ready given away to costumers about 10pcs actually 4 of them were women any way ....and prooved that except others this amplifier has a very high ( WAF ) ( WIFE ACCEPTANCE FACTOR )

MADE OF WOOD AND GLASS
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
I agree, it is a beautifull design, but for a danish living room it will not fit in.

A smaller design means the use of SMPS.
Old 13th July 2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Here you got an example of the design and prototype process I wrote about earlier.
This is for a pre.

Magura
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proto.jpg (94.2 KB, 1381 views)

Stylish amp design . WIFE factorHide this!Advertise here!