Stylish amp design . WIFE factor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
in which case the woman will be happier because at least its functional and not trash. its playing pretty songs for her.

I say gain?:bigeyes: were not living in the dark ages you know, How patronising! Still carry smelling salts in your pocket?:D

My GF is very inderstanding, ive had wires and circuit boards hanging out of one amp for months wire hung crossovers dangling from the back of speakers, In fact she offered to finish all the dangly bits to which I replied with a kiss. I'd love you to darlink but its all still very much in the developement stage!:D he'he!

rocco gibralter said:

Originally posted by gain
n which case the woman will be happier because at least its functional and not trash. its playing pretty songs for her.

I say gain?:bigeyes: were not living in the dark ages you know, How patronising! Still carry smelling salts in your pocket?:D

why do you consider this statement "patronizing"? maybe this is one of those cultural things but i believe here where i live ('cross the pond) a person would not feel patronized if i said that to them. i could be wrong though, but please explain why you felt patronized by this.

not looking to start and argument or anything like that at all. im just genuinely curious.

No offence intended Gain! It..well the whole thread implies girls arent as adept at our art..Or perhaps ive missed the point that females have got more of an eye for aesthetics and what looks right?

You girls can be quite merciless thought it must be said! You've spent weeks on your masterpiece its D day, somethings not right, you stand there scratching your head, tugging at wires, wiggling resistors, Then she looks over your shoulder points out the error of your ways with a rye smile...and then you never hear the last of it!:rolleyes:

Mines got at degree in Technology so you can imagine!:xeye:

Ive got a friend (male) who plugged a kettle in to a four gang extension, instead of plugging it in to the wall socket, he plugged it in to one of the other sockets on the extension then waited two hours for boiling water!:D

All about lifes balance and ying and yang! ;)

rocco gibralter said:
Ive got a friend (male) who plugged a kettle in to a four gang extension, instead of plugging it in to the wall socket, he plugged it in to one of the other sockets on the extension then waited two hours for boiling water!:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've been told our kettle was broken by my step daughter.. who didnt notice that it'd been unplugged to plug the toaster in, lol

rocco gibralter said:
No offence intended Gain!

no offence taken at all rocco! i thought i was offending YOU, thats why i asked for clarification.

rocco gibralter said:

It..well the whole thread implies girls arent as adept at our art..

they arn't. its not their fault though. most of 'em just arn't interested in electronics. its like asking a straight guy to get good in hairdressing or interior decorating or something. a few women i've met are interested in electronics and those women are REALLY good at it. better than most guys i know as a matter of fact. but most arn't interested ... ime talking about electronics with your woman on a date is a surefire way to bore the HECK out of her! for example, when i went to uni (student pop ~8,000) i majored in computer science (CS). There were four (4) girls in the college of computer science compared to like 9 hundred some odd guys. in the college of EE at my uni, there were NO GIRLS WHATSOEVER!

i wish more girls/women would get interested in CS and EE ... two fields that are in DESPERATE need of a woman's touch imho!

rocco gibralter said:

Or perhaps ive missed the point that females have got more of an eye for aesthetics and what looks right?

maybe they do and maybe they don't. but they all THINK they do and have little reservations about expressing their opinions on the matter.

rocco gibralter said:

You girls can be quite merciless thought it must be said! You've spent weeks on your masterpiece its D day, somethings not right, you stand there scratching your head, tugging at wires, wiggling resistors, Then she looks over your shoulder points out the error of your ways with a rye smile...and then you never hear the last of it!:rolleyes:

lol. that reminds me of that scene in chevy chase's christmas vacation when his wife gets the christmas lights working by flipping a single wall switch after poor chevy has spent all night outside on the roof in sub zero temperatures checking every one of his 25,000 bulbs.

rocco gibralter said:

Mines got at degree in Technology so you can imagine!:xeye:

not sure if i envy you or pity you for having such a woman. probably a little of both :)

rocco gibralter said:

yeah i got a friend (male as well) who wired up his 240V water heater to a 120V circuit, then wonderd why his showers were only luke warm when he had the dial cranked full over to hot!

take care and best regards.

rocco gibralter said:
It..well the whole thread implies girls arent as adept at our art..Or perhaps ive missed the point that females have got more of an eye for aesthetics and what looks right?

I agree. I don't mind it when people say that many women aren't adept at electronics, or that many men have no aesthetic sense. But that's not the sort of thing that's said. Instead it's women aren't adept, and men have no... It's the generalisations that annoy me.

I'm a woman, and I like to think that I can hold my own when it comes to electronics design. I freely acknowledge that I was one of three women in my year studying undergrad engineering, and women studying engineering at postgrad level are pretty thin on the ground. But we exist. And the generalisations don't allow for that. The generalisations are what dissuade more girls from studying science and maths, even though studies have shown that on average, girls are just as good at maths as boys. But if people tell you you suck at something long enough, you'll eventually believe them.

Which is a pity. Because the engineering profession could do with a good, solid, female kick in the pants.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
suzyj said:
And the generalisations don't allow for that.

Not true. Acknowledging and celebrating exceptions to the rule is the de facto defence against a charge of dogmatism or underlying prejudice.
Allegedly supportive scientific data can be cited in complete innocence.

Here is a good (and pretty incoherent to boot) example:

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=10055

Cheers,
Glen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.