Phase Linear 200 Series 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I'm wrong, someone will correct me PDQ, but I think you'll find two problems:
1) I can't swear to it, but I think the original output devices were Darlingtons.
2) Substitution of bipolar output devices may give you oscillation problems.
In other words, if it doesn't work after you're done fiddling with it, it wasn't really an upgrade.

Grey

I just looked at the schematic and i am fairly certain that it isn't a Darlington because there would have to a driver for each output and there is only 1 driver for 2 outputs. I have heard about oscillation problems and that would be the only issue i thought i might have. I don't have a scope to check for it....

Thanks much for everyones help

I just picked up a Phase Linear Model 200 Series 2 for 100$. From what i can tell this is a screamin deal. I just wanted some opinions on this amp and possibly if anyone can send me a copy of the service manual.

Sorry to have to say this but the only person who is probably happy is the guy that got your $100.

Opinions on the amp....well if it were me I would walk to the nearest garbage can and put it inside.

PA amp you ask... Well Gray said it far better than I can.

"Pro" audio means PA systems and the like. I'm not sure I'd call any of the Phase Linear amps suitable for that kind of use unless you were willing to use a lot of forced air cooling and were also willing to accept a moderately high failure rate.

The amp is NOT suitable for any serious application. It falls into the same line as Ampzilla's and SAE's. Prone to blow up. The name itself says it all...Flame Linear.

Return it to the person you bought it from and get your money back.

And thats my opinion.

Im just curios here. But are you speaking from experience or what is the basis of your opinion.

Well, I surely wouldn't waste my time with a reply if I wasn't.

I still have one sitting on my shelf in the garage along with other useless dinosaurs from my youth. All of them waiting for a youthfull person with plenty of cash and very little experience.
I've owned/fixed about all the "Greats" from the past. I've had 700B's, 400's, 200's. I've had Clown DC300's and 150's. I've had 30 or so of assorted models of Ampzilla's and SAE's. These are just a few of the assorted toys.

So, I guess you could form the opinion that I have owned them and abused them. I have blown them up and had to repair them.

My experience is pale when up against those who are much more experienced like Gray for example. If I had been lucky enough to
be able to draw from someone elses experience when I was young I wouldn't have wasted my money on some of the junk.
I guess the bottom line is this...if you want to make noise then the amp might be ok till she blows. If you want a real musical experience then move on to something better. Hopefully you will
pose the questions before you purchase so that you can draw upon the experience of others that have been there before you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.