My MOSFET amplifier designed for music

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just had a quick play with my newly acquired, pre-owned 4-channel Rigol late last night. Didn't have a USB stick handy, so I've made a crappy screenshot with the phone. It shows the startup behaviour of my build, as it is currently hooked up with only a 18V-0-18V transformer for testing. Channels 1 and 2 are the left and right outputs, channels 3 and 4 the power rails. Horizontal scale is 100ms/div, so the whole screen spans only 1.2 seconds. The pulse on the output only reaches about 12V (less than half the rail voltage) and settles in about half a second, which is in good agreement with what the simulation predicted.

powerup.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Lasse,

I had a similar issue several months back and using the scope in Roll Mode as you have done to discover a ‘shut down’ behavior which was making a plump sound on my speakers. Turns out it wasn’t the main amplifier circuit. It was the preamp section and it happened within the first 100msec of shutdown.

So good sleuthing, and yes, it appears a speaker protect with 5 second delay would be MORE than adequate since your issue is resolved in under 500msec.

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. I’ll have to ask if the delay time of my protect board can be extended (if I needed it to be….best to test first). My voltage rails will probably be only +/- 40V max so that is also important to take into consideration.

Great data, both simulation and real world Mooly and Laase 💪 (y) ;).

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 1 user