Visual Analyser & Nuova Elletronica LX.1690 KIT Oscilloscope + Spectrum Analyser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eva said:
If you can get a square wave out of an audio DAC near the upper cutoff then it suffers from very poor filtering.

Hi Eva and thanks for your interest
I hope your comment will be proved right. Because if it is such, then i have the possibility to improve by myself the filters. But if the problem caused from the MCU that contains the LX.1690 kit - i've not received yet it up this moment that i am writing this post - which as i've seen from the downloaded article it is a ST7 - as i think - and its AD converter it is Successive Approximation as usually in microcontrollers. As i said already, my DSO does not has the overshoot problem because its flash AD converters although these are only 8bit each. The same i've seen also in my MD player with little inclination from the perfect reproduction.

Fotios

gtforme00 said:
Sorry to hear about the delay, I hope that you receive the kit soon!

I think I've settled on the conclusion that using a good soundcard and building my own voltage divider probes will be sufficient for me.

I'm still interested in your results, good luck with the kit!

Regards,
David

Hi David

Something went wrong with the dispatch of kit from Nuova Elettronica. I have ordered from 26/2 and until today i've received nothing! I wrote today a catapult email to Nuova Elettronica and i am in waiting of their response.
Nevertheless i have study the circuit and i believe that it will not has problem. Also we can make some improvements in the analog part if there is the need. The circuit it is quite with easy finding parts except the MCU. But also this is not an obstacle. Be patient because i smell that something good will be result at the end.

Fotios

The stuff received!!!

At least today i received the kit LX.1690 of Nuova Elettronica. For the delay was responsible finally the Greek Postal Service and not these men which are very sincere in their transactions. Because i think that the presentation of kit it is good to start from zero, first i must to post some photos of the kit into his separate packets so you can estimate better its quality. From the today afternoon the photos, because i must prepare my photographic gear. Be patient please.

Fotios

FIRST IMPRESSION FROM THE KIT

Bellow it is the photo of the kit as it is coming from Nuova Elettronica. As you can see, all the necessary parts for a complette building of kit LX.1690 are included. From the left: 1) All the parts for the circuit implemantation in the rugged pressed transparent plastic cardbox. 2) In the upper middle the very good quality double sided PCB 3) In the lower middle the plastic black box with READY all the necessary cut-outs for the prominent parts such the in - out connectors etc. We don't have to make any hard-work on the box 4) In the lower right place the prestamped self adhesive label of the face of box! 5) In the upper right in a separate and well static protected base the heart of the LX1690, its processor circuit.
Generally the kit it has an unusual tidy packing in conjuction with all of they needed for build it - an unusuall thing also - and thus the cost of 95Euros it is absolutelly reasonable

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This moment the batteries of my digital still camera are under charging process and thus for more photos of the rest kits that i have ordered also, after one hour please. Be patient. I have many VERY interesting informations about the simplicity of kit. Also i received without extra charges the two issues 232 and 233 of Nuova Elettronica (in the first incorporated all the instructions for building the kit and it is downloadable from the site of SilanumSoft, the author of Visual Analyser). In the 233 issue there is a verry extensive and very interesting article with many instructions and help for the correct use of Visual Analyser as spectrum analyser. Also includes some captured photos from the scope of Visual Analyser and there is a nice photo of the LX1690 response in square waves. When i watched the very small and ignorable overshoot in the corners which is absolutelly comparable with many expensive PC based instruments (PICO has the same behaviour) i taked a big breath. I pledge to make any effort to translate it in English. I have many friends here which made their students in Italian universities and have an intimate knoweledge of Italian language.
To be continued.

Fotios

IT IS EASY TO BUILD IT

Before anyone anticipates me (and i am very curious why no one has made it yet) i must to refer this. And concretely for the friends from America. Because the full article with schematics included about this kit it is downloadable, each one has the posibility to solder a 28 pin SSOP device which is the heart of the LX.1690 and it is the PCM2902 stereo audio codec with ready USB interface of Texas Instruments (Farnell price = 10 Euros approx.) he is in place to build by alone it. And with better quality caps from those offered on the kit for the filters included can be a little better from the original.

Fotios

Giaime said:
Dear Fotios,

to make the thing short, I believe you can get far better measurements (more resolution, lower noise floor) with pro-audio PC soundcards than from Nuova Elettronica's product. You won't get the input attenuator and all the fancy hardware (you have to build yourself), but the price is lower.

Please note that with a PC soundcard you are limited with about 100kHz input frequency (using a 192ks/s sound card), no problem because Nuova Elettronica's kit is limited with 48ks/s.

I strongly suggest getting an analog oscilloscope to do "oscilloscope" duty, and a PC soundcard to get baseband FFT (in audio frequencies).

I use an M-Audio 2496, not particulary a good soundcard but it's cheap.

Hi GIaimie

After building the kit and examining it until death in my 64bit Workstation P.C. with a SB X-Fi Platinum for data aquisition proved that you are absolutely right. Except the unabilities of LX.1690 my PC revealed also the big unabilities of the Silanum Software Visual Analyser and mainly its very bad signal generator and the coarse region below 3KHz of its spectrum analyser. I tried the Virtins Multi Instrument Pro-3 of 199USD (supported by x64 OS) with my X-Fi Platinum in sampling rates up to 192000s/s in 8bit mono without hang-ups. In a such system can operate with big comfort up to192000 / 8bit / mono or 96000 / 24bit / mono or 96000 / 16bit / stereo without any overshoot in square waves produced by its generator. It is a 90% profesional grade solution for a lot of accurate measurements. I tried alsoSpectraRTA 132 which is more flexible and powerfull but it operates only to 32bit O.S. unfortunatelly.

Fotios

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.