Oscillator XTAL 701 in NAD C740 xcvr ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Hoping to get some clues with this.

I have a NAD C740 receiver that eventually stopped powering on. I took it to my retailer/repairer who diagnosed it as a faulty oscillator xtal 701.

They claimed that this part was no longer available and therefore could not fix it. This seems a little strange to me given that;

- it is not that old.
- there was no mention of attempts to source an alternative part
- I have not been able to find any oscillators in any NAD schematics that I have found to date.
- an oscillator appears to be very generic to my very limited electronics knowledge ??

Is my repairer telling me porkies to get me to buy a new amp ?

Should alternate parts be available to repair this ?

Cheers

I haven't been able to find the schematics unfortunately and am reluctant to pay as it is money that I could use for a second opinion...

To my thinking, it seems unlikely that a problem with the tuner or IR functions would prevent it powering up ??

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Well, the Cpu would need a x-tal for sure.

I'm a little bit puzzled here, you mention a, quote: "Oscillator XTAL 701 in NAD C740 xcvr ??? " :confused:
To me an xcvr is a transceiver ( transmitter/receiver ) ;)
Anyway... I I have a SM for a Nad C730 Receiver, wonder if it's close enough to the C740 to be used for anything ?

If that's the case, then just drop me a mail, then i'll send it to you d0g.

Best regards
Ebbe

d0g said:
Hello,

Hoping to get some clues with this.

I have a NAD C740 receiver that eventually stopped powering on. I took it to my retailer/repairer who diagnosed it as a faulty oscillator xtal 701.

Surely, a faulty Xtal would not prevent the system from powering on?

Do you mean it's dead or what ?

Andy

Did you manage to get the c740 fixed? I also have one with a similar problem. Only swithes on with remote. No selection buttons on front panel are working, but inputs can be selected via remote control. I have the schematics and did change the super cap C712 that is responsible for memory. I also get all the voltages as shown on the scematics, but still no luck. Can it be the crystal as well? or would the processor be dead then without any clock frequency?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.