Harman Kardon Receiver Question - DC output to Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure if this is the right section to post - pls direct me to the appropriate place if so.

My 4yr old Harman Kardon AV receiver suddenly failed. I am currently temporarily residing in USA but my AV receiver is back home in Singapore. So the info is second hand from my wife back home.

The AV receiver suddenly failed giving a loud noise from all speakers (on all source selection upon powering on - even with volume pot all the way down). I listened to the noise (transmitted via skype) and it sounded like a loud DC output, kinda like "teeehhhhhhhhhh" extremely loud and unchanging in tone or volume upon power on.

I've detached the speakers to protect them.

So does this sound like DC output to speakers? What is the most likely failure source - capacitors?

I'll returning home soon but am wondering if diagnostics and repair is easy or economically viable - if not I may have to dispose of it.

thanks

her shann

Her Shann,

When you get home, try this:

1. Use a DVM set to DC Volts
2. Touch the test leads to each set of speaker terminals
3. If you see DC voltage on one or more of the speaker outputs, you probably have shorted output transistors in that channel.

Repairing a problem like this can sometimes be costly because when output transistors short, they may take out other components around them.

Good luck.

Larry

Agus Widarto said:
Hai.... what the type of Harman kardon AVR? Are you all ready call IMS? Call Amin..

regards

Lsharptec1 said:
Her Shann,

When you get home, try this:

1. Use a DVM set to DC Volts
2. Touch the test leads to each set of speaker terminals
3. If you see DC voltage on one or more of the speaker outputs, you probably have shorted output transistors in that channel.

Repairing a problem like this can sometimes be costly because when output transistors short, they may take out other components around them.

Good luck.

Larry

Can't quite recall the model - it is an old model without the backlit ring around the volume pot.

Will try using the DMM when I get back. I figured that it will be not very economical to fix it. New receivers are relatively cheap to get.

Although I may just go with a 2 channel setup with my DIY amps that I'm currently building instead of a multi-channel set-up.

thanks

her shann

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.