Low noise current source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm designing an "overkill" amplifier and am looking to design a ultra high impedance, ultra low noise current source. Right now, it consists of a cascode current mirror using a THAT300/320 transistor array and two green LEDs to set a reference voltage.

My web research has found that use of LEDs to set the current source's reference voltage is about the best one can do to get low noise with a down-side of temperature dependence for actual current.

One question is this: what LEDs are suggested. I've seen references to "rectangular LEDs". Why should they be rectangular?

What would be a good PN choice in surface mount? Why?

My original design used a "filtered" 1N4xxx series "low noise" zener diode, but I found that using said part (without filtering) yielded a noise voltage of 80-100x worse than a junk-box T1-3/4 green led. Even with a "tapped" resistor filter, it was still worse than a LED.

After days of searching for info, I've come up dry. It's time for me to consult the experts! :D

Thanks,
John

jgedde said:
I'm designing an "overkill" amplifier and am looking to design a ultra high impedance, ultra low noise current source...
Thanks,
John

Simply wrong conception of engineering design - you say you want to maximize 2 parameters while using a topology that requires trading them off against several other unstated constraints

the way to find a acceptable balance is to look at the larger amplifier circuit context to determine which ccs parameters impact the rest of the circuits' performance the most

"the best" off-road truck tire isn't very good on a sprint bicycle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.