uPC1237/NTE7100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jaycee said:

Small-signal transistors suitable for the job will always be available :)

So, let me get this straight then. Because you fear that 10 years from now there is a chance you can't get a uPC1237, you think it is *better* to built a circuit from discretes today?

That's Ok, but I just thought you really meant *better* in terms of performance.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

So, let me get this straight then. Because you fear that 10 years from now there is a chance you can't get a uPC1237, you think it is *better* to built a circuit from discretes today?

That's Ok, but I just thought you really meant *better* in terms of performance.

Jan Didden

Yep, that's it exactly. The only real reason to use the IC is to save board space as you can make a good DC protect circuit with only a few resistors, a capacitor, 4 diodes and 2 transistors :)

Actually I'm looking at doing it with a resistor (per channel), capacitor, 4 diodes and an optocoupler. I don't know if thats much of an improvement, but I have a load of suitable optos from dead PC PSU's i could use

jaycee said:

Actually I'm looking at doing it with a resistor (per channel), capacitor, 4 diodes and an optocoupler. I don't know if thats much of an improvement, but I have a load of suitable optos from dead PC PSU's i could use

The opto is a good idea I hadn't thought of. If you're only using the opto to drive the relay make sure the transistor can handle the voltage it will see when turned off. Seems to me you'd want at least another transistor and a cap for turn on delay.

Does the opto constitute an IC?

I was actually going to use the opto because I wanted to send the DC fault signal to a microcontroller, which would be in control of the speaker relays anyway.

The opto solves the interfacing between amp rail voltages and 5V, and also provides some isolation from digital noise.

Opto's are pretty common again and 4-terminal opto's are probably going to be widely available for some years yet - especially as theyre so commonly used in SMPS.

Re: UPC1237/NTE7100

d3imlay said:
OK, so I worked out the design and got boards made. In the mean time it seems as though the chips have disappeared. Does anybody know who has them in stock at reasonable prices? I'm looking for 100pcs.
Are you referring to the NTE7100? Mouser has stock; 100 pc @ $1.44.
I've built one on a perf board, with external relay. Nice and compact. Seems to work fine at 65V. I was thinking of doing a PCB but if yours is based on the 1237/7100 maybe I could 'lift it' from you.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is my 1237-based offset protection, switch-on delay as well as amplifier Safe Operation Area protection. This is the unit published by Elektor Electronics in their May issue.
Details at my website.

BTW, I can get 1237's here in Holland for about $1.50 + VAT at 19% if you need help.

Jan Didden

Attachments

• prot.jpg
    prot.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,095
Reactions: 1 user
Hola a todos; Por favor si alguien tiene el diagrama interno y un circuito de aplicacion con el upc1237H .
Estoy reparando un Amplificador sansui A-1001 si alguien tiene el circuito seria grandioso.
Desde ya mucchas gracias.
joaquin horacio

Hello everyone, Please if anyone has the internal diagram and application circuit with upc1237H.
I'm repairing a sansui amplifier A-1001 if anyone has the circuit would be great.
From mucchas and thanks.
joaquin horacio

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this was a long time ago...

Jan Didden

... but here we are 4 years later, and I can't find this chip at the two distributors I usually buy from: Farnell and TME.
I had one CA1237HA in a project, it died, now I can't find another one.
I'll try to replace it with a discrete transistor based circuit.

LE:
I'm sure I can find lots of them on ebay, but most of them are fake/poor_quality just like the one that died.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.