Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on Ebay
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2018, 10:35 PM   #3521
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

just put an air cored inductor on the output of the amplifier.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 30th November 2018, 02:35 AM   #3522
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

The cable is simply being relied on to substitute for an output coil. Capacitance is not a necessary part of an output coil network but it exists in the cable nonetheless, so it is included in the cable specification. Don't be distracted by trying to match all the cable specs, since it's the total inductance that is the essential requirement here.

So as Bigun just suggested, fit a small coil, like 2uH, in series with your + output leads and most cable concerns will vanish - simple as that. If you prefer to follow all Naim recommendations to the letter, then buy their recommended cable as a consumer instead. I think a DIY would have more urgent problems with the components in their parts kit though

For curiosity, you can measure the small cable inductance and capacitance with one of several affordable LC meters like the LC200A but the real test is stability (no ringing) of the amplifier when driving the speakers. You'll very likely need a 'scope for that. Otherwise, the R, L, C properties of copper twinflex are all determined by its basic cable geometry. i.e. the diameter of each wire bundle, the centre spacing and length - assuming all types have a common insulation like PVC.
Old 30th November 2018, 07:06 PM   #3523
huggygood is offline huggygood  France
diyAudio Member

I use cable whose strands are not turned, just pulled straight and no problem, I did not even check their capacitance and it's been working for two or three years
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #3524
Azatto28 is offline Azatto28  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Ok, so today I finaly done my amp and I think all the troubles that I posted in NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on Ebay is gone.
I have changed transistors in current sourse from MPSA18 to MPSA06, changed broken ZTX753, also found burned resistor, changed spacers under PCB to plastic ones.
Now it is dead quiet. Set the bias - it also OK. DC on outputs is around 10mV.
Just tried it with smal speakers on my job, have to move it to home, and than if I'll like it I'll make it look beter.
One more time thanks elerybody.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #3525
huggygood is offline huggygood  France
diyAudio Member

cool !!
Old Today, 06:45 AM   #3526
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'd like a job where I can do my Audio DIY repairs too
Nice going, as it seems there were a few faults to eliminate.

NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on EbayHide this!Advertise here!