RMI-FC100, a single stage audio power amplifier

Is that really such a big deal if someone has been at it for close to 30 years, with next to every part in the closet nowadays, heatsinks by the meter and NOS amp cases from serial production ?
(beats me why it's such an addiction, the main attraction still is phono pre-pre's)

Me kinky bstrd, but otherwise total and utter boring git, all-time abfav is the SA/4e, current ref. pre/power set is Cl. Omega3+Putzeys ExtremA.

(Mr Walton does a great service to the community, no idea why)

Last edited:
Nope.
I spent many hours auditing all SA/ models in the '80s, early '90s, at shows and dealers in Germany, couldn't afford any of them back then, not even used.
Sometimes i faked to be a potential buyer, just for a couple of hours of listening (duh, quite a few times actually).
What i could afford was the Forté Audio 1A Class A model, less than $2K retail in Germany, couple of years later followed by the Pass Laboratories Aleph 0s, secondhand one.
[plus DIY models, like the A75 and the Thagard(Pass) A100, i've download stuff from the PL site since ~'95]

I already had original boards for the Omega, gift from the designer of the thing, along with a stack of boards for other Class Éeh designs, nice guy. Ran into one used at a very attractive rate, not long after i fell from the stairs and damaged a nerve in my soldering arm, sort of a consolation gift.
Still have to finish the 2nd one, some time ago i also ran into a sale ad of an unused spare remote for less than a c-bill, pretty thing.
Noticed recently that some agree on the latter : Classe Omega Pre-Amplifier MKIII Reviewed
I'm very pleased Mr Putzeys shared the design and Sander Sassen's input, mates excellent with the Omega.

Just think, in the early 1980s i just wanted a goodsounding set i could afford, got me into taking audio amplifier classes. And look at me now, a hopeless junkie in need of a new shot time and again. :clown:
I collect fancy/exotic items, rejuvenate worthwhile stuff i run across accidentally, build what i personally find interesting.
Obsession, really, bit more than a hobby (aka total retard).

Last edited:
Over here we call people like you tyre kickers:) I too am a bit of a tyre kicker, I cant bear to pay (or afford) for the high end.
I read that review before I posted, I figured you would never be able to diy something like this, its quite amazing that you have original pcbs for a $17K preamp.

I don't know if you can still get pcbs for the Extreme A, and it seems that not many of them were made around here. Maybe a future project for me. I just had another look at the thread and it doesn't seem like its that hard to build to be honest.

a bit of a tyre

Luke,

what's in a board(walk), if the parts are the real investment.
Another Class Éeh design board set for an example, in sizes not likely to experience with GB endeavours (yet), but requires 6 matched J109/K389 pairs for starters. (also balanced in, balanced out, relay switched)
All things relative, the mark-3 retails for $30K on the Euro continent : Classe Omega Pre-amplifier MkIII - Preamplificatori Stereo Serie Omega
Me kick everything, except tyres.

The tricky part of the ExtremA is the cooling for output power levels above 50W/8 (for 100W, the dissipation number goes up to ~260W, coming out of 4 power devices)
The design has turned a Dutch thing mainly, to some extent because the ExtremA mag article has only been published in the Cheese edition.
Not overwhelming builder response in NL either, nine of ten audio DIY's lack project mileage (/age).

R-cores are grand, if easily obtained, otherwise use an EI instead of a toroidal (cheaper and superior).
Best EI is one with separate winding sections (split bobbin type)

Attachments

• CÉÉ.jpg
    CÉÉ.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:
all-time abfav is the SA/4e, current ref. pre/power set is Cl. Omega3+Putzeys ExtremA

It is safe to pick the most expensive, theoretically correct amplifier circuits. They cannot sound bad anyway. But it makes me wonder, how far have you gone to pick your speaker. You either have to be A rich person, or get your hands wet with speaker design.

Many have heard $1000K system and think that the system sucked. It means that no matter how good or expensive an amp, the overall sound may still sound bad.

I have found that the speaker guys tend to know better what they are after regarding overall sound (and how to achieve it) than the amp guys. Yes, there are those who are so advance with amp design but do not have a clue regarding speakers...

I'm saying this because, there are those who think that we are building amps after amps is merely for the sake of looking for the holy grail, while actually we are not. It's just a hobby. Those who builds "the best" amps simply for the holy grail is looking in the wrong place.

Last edited:
You either have to be A, or get your hands wet.

Or a bit of both ?
Me built loudspeakers.
(and had classes in mechanics, vibration&sound, acoustics, composites, system dynamics, finite elements, simulations, etc., at MSc level, if it matters a fck)

Me latest toy, costs more than a fancypants amp, and assembled it me, myself and I.

Attachments

• Kappie22.jpg
    Kappie22.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Or a bit of both ?
Me built loudspeakers.
(and had classes in mechanics, vibration&sound, acoustics, composites, system dynamics, finite elements, simulations, etc., at MSc level, if it matters a fck)

Me latest toy, costs more than a fancypants amp, and assembled it me, myself and I.

Jacco what is the dome supposed to keep out or in?

jan didden