Kenwood Amplifier KA 7020 Starting up Issues!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all Im new :D

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem well here it goes:

Ok I own a Kenwood KA - 7020 stereo integrated amplifier, which I have had for sometime which I use to play music from my PC, I have it connected to the pc with a stereo jack to phono wire. I have the phono wires in the cd input and the stereo jack in the sound card at the back of the pc. It has been working well for a long timel, but recently its giving me a problem which is; when I switched it on, it doesnt give any sound out through the speakers at all!
I have to keep switching it on and off so many times after switching it on and off laround 20 to 30 times it starts working!

Does anyone know whats going on? Whats causing this problem? Any help will be appriciated :D

Thanks!

This belongs in Solid-State, not here, but...

Does the Kenwood use a speaker relay? If so, you may be used to hearing a gentle 'click' a few seconds after power-up when it was working OK. A common problem is dried out capacitors or a weak relay driver transistor in the protection circuit.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, How did Netlist find this old thread--- Magic ;)
Whats the relay you can hear click after a couple of seconds ? If the speakers are connecting to the amp if you put your ear to the tweeter you should be able to tell if the amps are at least connected- any hiss ? I would have thought a DC offset would hold the relay off-- no click.

Mooly said:
Hi, How did Netlist find this old thread--- Magic ;)
Whats the relay you can hear click after a couple of seconds ? If the speakers are connecting to the amp if you put your ear to the tweeter you should be able to tell if the amps are at least connected- any hiss ? I would have thought a DC offset would hold the relay off-- no click.

Could be a faulty relay ?

emsee said:
Im sorry if im askin illetrate questions, but what are contacts what do they look like, i probably know what they are if i saw them... I know what a multimeter is but what would you say would be a high resistance?

Thank you for helpind me :D

The relay usually looks like a box shape around an inch or so in all directions. You will hear it click anyway when you switch it on.

The contacts will connect into the PCB.
The contacts resistance should be well less than 1 ohm.

Ok ive located what the relay is but am i correct when i think, Contacts and PCB's are:

ggg.jpg

no.
the contacts are the movable switches inside the relay case that connect/disconnect to carry/break the signal.

You have shown a transistor attached to a printed circuit board (PCB) with each of it's three legs soldered through holes surrounded by copper pads. The copper has been tinned (coated) with solder to change the colour to the dirty silver shade seen in the pic.

The 4cylinders in the other pic are electrolytic capacitors.
The rectangular red block is probably a film capacitor.
The tiny cylinder with a wire at each end is a resistor.

so basicly i'm going to have to remove the relay case, and inside that check the resistance of the cantcs with a multimeter...

ive located the relay blocks thers 2 of them right next to each other, i did try taking the cover of but it doesnt budge, i didnt wnat to do any harder as i might break something?

should i be trying to take it off with more force?

no.
you can measure across the solder pins on the other side of the PCB.
two should have coil resistance between them.
If it's a single pole double throw then there are three other pins.
one pair should have zero resistance and the other two pairs should show infinity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.