Tandberg Solvsuper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, you guys are great.
I have a Tandberg Solvsuper reciever from about 25 years ago, and as far as I have heard, they are are supposed to be quite good. It is in nice conditon, it can power two pairs of speakers and it has tape and phono in. Does anyone know if this unit is good? Are there any updates or such that I can do to it?

thanks,
Vegard

vegard said:
Hi, you guys are great.
I have a Tandberg Solvsuper reciever from about 25 years ago, and as far as I have heard, they are are supposed to be quite good. It is in nice conditon, it can power two pairs of speakers and it has tape and phono in. Does anyone know if this unit is good? Are there any updates or such that I can do to it?

thanks,
Vegard
What version of Tandberg Solvsuper is it.
I searched the net, Solvsuper 1 came 1937-38.
I found numbers upto Solvsuper 12C on the net.
I guess the latest models used transistors.

At "Norwegian Historical Radio Society"
http://www.nrhf.no/nrhf-eng.html
you will find pictures of most Solvsuper models 1-12C
http://www.nrhf.no/nrhf-TR.html

Here is ´some pictures of a real oldie.
http://www.sparkbench.com/tandbergalbum.html

The picture below shows the first Tandberg Solvsuper 1

/halo

Attachments

• solvsuper1.jpg
    solvsuper1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 513
Its a tandberg solvsuper 12

Hi:
The history of this reciever: My dad purchased this during his college years in Norway (I am norwegian). He has a pair of speakers with it that have 8" (I think) drivers pointed up and four tweeterspointing in from each corner. The speakers are garbage... the tweeters are cracked, and the woofer dustcap is crushed. I might restore these at a later time...

Anyway, back to the reciever: It is a Solvsuper 12, without the built in cassete.
Here's what I want to do with it:
I would like to make it run off 120 v as opposed to 220.
I will build a separate selector box for attatching more inputs
And Id like to change the speaker connectors (the speaker cable requires little plugs that have one round pin and one flat pin) I would probably like to add banana jacks.
And if I can change/add components and get better sound I might want to try it. by the way, anybody else have one?

http://www.nrhf.no/TR-SS-12.html

Thanks,
Vegard

Tandberg Sølvsuper

Maybe I could help you with the powertransformer thing with your amplifier.
I don't think you need to change the transformer, you just have to change some wires coupled to the transformer.
I'm not absolutely sure but if my memory serves me right you don't have to change the transformer.

The Sølvsuper(or Solvsuper)products from Tandberg is extremely good products. They are solid and well designed, end here in Norway you often see them still in use.
I have done some service to a coulpe of Tandbergs products, among them a coulpe of Sølvsuper models, Huldra models and some cassette decks.

In fact I did some service at a Tandberg Sølvsuper 11 yesterday, it had an problem with the balancecontrol, so I just changed the pot.

the radioparts of the Tandberg products is often extremely good, I had no problem with reciving weak stations with the Sølvsuper 11, and I also saw that this model had divided the SW-band into trhee groups, the first: 3,3 -10MHz, second: 10-20MHz, and the third: 20-30MHz.

I would also like to mention a thing I find a bit funny..
If you take a look at your Tandberg model, at the frequency dial.... you will find a city named Fredrikstad!!!... and that's my hometown, the town where I was born and where I have lived most of my life and have my family.
Fredrikstad is a town in the southern part of Norway.

fantastic reciever

yeah, the reception is amazing...
I know where fredrickstad is, Im originally from Sandnes (near Stavanger) I moved to Maryland a few years back. I love this reciever, It sounds good, and the tuner is excelent. It would be really great if I didnt have to change the transformer. I cant go look at it now, but Ill open it up tomorrow and see what the reciever looks like inside. Thanks very much for your reply. Ill let you know what Im gonna do tomorrow.

- Vegard

Well... the Tandberg compnies you see today is not exactely the same company who made those famous radioes.
The orginal tandberg went bankrupt sometime in the 70ties, but some investors bought the Tandberg label and is today mostly known for tapestreamers, monitors and videoconferencing.

hmmm.. you said it was OK for me to write in Norwegian....

Så da går jeg over til å gjøre det.
Det å koble transformatoren for 115V er nok ikke så vanskelig nei.
Når enheten er kobla for 230V så ser en to ledninger som kommer inn fra 230V og er koble på transformatoren og en ledning på trafoen som kobler sammen to vindinger slik at disse er seriekoblet.
Her må en altså bytte om litt slik at disse blir parallellkobla.

Når det gjelder jording så vet jeg ikke helt hva som vil lønne seg. Jegh la merke til det samme ved Sølvsuper 11, at denne ikke var jorda, om det er noen spesiell grunn til dette vet jeg ikke.
Om du skal jorde eller ikke kan jeg heller ikke svare direkte på.

Is this Tandberg the same company that makes tape backup drives and monitors and stuff?

Originally it WAS.

Until the Norwegian gouverment made it a case to destroy the company.

BUT: TANDBERG DATA (Storage og what they now are called) Is a company wich was founded I believe in 1979, after the bankrupt of Tandbergs Radiofabrikk in December 1978.
Other companies wich came out of this were:
Tandberg Educational
Tandberg Display (Monitors and stuff)
Tandberg Television (Prof TV-systems AND monitors)
Tan-mek (Mechanical workshop)
Tantec (The Norwegian distribution system, had most of the "followups" and TANDBERG-branded equipment for the consumer market)
and furthermore some smaller companies.

Most of theese are now gone in or purchased by other companies.
Of the latter: Ericsson bought Tandberg Television. Ant the Fiskars group bought Tandberg educational. (Some years ago now)

The SS12 is a good radio, but have a rather bad reputation, especially here in Norway, as it (god forbid) had plastic bottomcover, as an example.
I mean the radio is badly treatet by theese peope, and that it deserves quite more for the qualities it actually holds.

A modest 2X17W isn't much to brag around with, but for the normal household in the early-mid-seventies it was enough to get the morning gymnastics and some news brought out to the common Norwegian.
Those of you who are Norwegians, and a little older than the majority here(?) remember Reidar Morseths morning programme, don't you?

I am myself near a complete seventies range of TANDBERG products here now. SS9 through 12 and the socalled SS13 (3030) is installed and in functional condition. The complete 2000-series, All cassette recorders in the 300 and 400-series. I badly miss the 10X (10XD) Reel to Reel recorder, but seems to have all the others inhouse now.

AND a still better sparepart-stock. ....

I also do repairs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.