Phonic Mar 6 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I've searched the forum about this amp but didnt find anything, on the net there is minimal info on this amp.

Is it an good amp? I mean, does it do its job well, dosnt break down or fail often, minimal or no problems to it? reason i am asking is becuase i need an amp to power my TC 2000 sub, and my budget is tight, what I can affored at the moment is (second hand):
Peavey PV8.5C
Phonic Mar 6
QSC MAX/USA850
Crown amcron Geodyne I.

Power to $$ wise, the Phonic will put out the most... I am bridging into an 8 ohm load (DVC 4 + 4 ohms, connected in series)

so what do you guys say? should i take the phonic?

Thanks,
David Resnik

hello,

IMHO I would go for the Amcron Geodyne 1, they are really good on the 'low end department' a real thumper, high damping factor. I also had the mar 6 amp, their output stage is similar to the QSC (grounded collector) they are really tough amp. But to me they lack a bit of control on the bass. Been using them on my live sound rig for 4 years and it never lets me down.

amcron = real thumper, very good on the bass department
phonic = $/watts wise and gets the job done

just my 2 cents

Regards
audiomachine

the Amcron does look like a nice amp, but the thing is its power output is much lower (about 600 watts bridged into 8ohms) than the Phonic (approx' 1300 into 8 ohms bridged), and I'm using a Linkwitz Transform inorder to roll off @27Hz, there for I need the power. a guy has offerd me a Mar 6 for a decent price, slightly cheaper than the Amcron.
no matter what, ill allways have a dilemma, Price Vs Power Vs Performance.

Im going to have a look at this Phonic amp next week, should there be anything to look out for?

Thanks,
David Resnik

hi,

Maybe it would be a good idea to open the lid of the amp and have a look inside, check if the toroidal transfo and the filter/output caps for signs of "cooking".The output tranies of these amps were the monster MT-200 package Sanken transistors with peak current ratings of 30 amps. You get 5 pairs of transistor per channel. The output transistor were ''almost'' impossible to blow. As I recall, I have a costumer came to my shop with a blown mar6 amp. Upon checking, the outputs were ok, only the toroid transfo got zap.

Ragards,
audiomachine

wow! :D
Talking
all right then ill get him to crack it open and ill have a look!

thanks for the help guys, ill be intouch with both of you in the future!
finally i will be able to so what my TC sub is capable of...(28mm Xmax, 41mm Xmech, one-way)!! :cool:

Thanks,
David Resnik

Hello every one
I have recently baught a used phonic Mar6 and it works fine. but I needed it to specifically bridge it to run a 4R load and drive my 2 Bins that are 500w RMS 1000w Program. but when I play it it plays like nowhere close to even 1000w on Mono of which its supposse to deliver 1300w 8R Bridge and 2000w 4R bridge.but both channels work fine in Stereo. could there be anything wrong with the Amp.

Thank you in advance

just to Highlight that "when I opened up the amp I saw some pops on one of the Relay switches for the Speakers as if something over heated and got fried inside. and there are variable resistors labeled IDEL ADJ. they look like someone tempered with them. but I don not know what are they for.

PLEASE HELP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.