IC's vs Discretes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You might have to PM him in order to attract his attention.

I could imagine that he still prefers discrete designs. Being a skilled designer he might be able to do even better than the modern op-amps which are already quite close to the "wire with gain".
For the average DIYer modern op-amps might be the better and easier choice however.

Regards

Charles

phase_accurate said:
You might have to PM him in order to attract his attention.

I could imagine that he still prefers discrete designs. Being a skilled designer he might be able to do even better than the modern op-amps which are already quite close to the "wire with gain".
For the average DIYer modern op-amps might be the better and easier choice however.

Regards

Charles

"Quite close to wire with gain?"

Then why they all sound so different???

IIRC, it is in response to an article on very low THD parts from National, maybe the LME49810? Or what it one of the new op amps? Can't remember. The argument being that low THD is not the be all of sonic performance. He also was against ICs verses fully discrete because he can choose the best discrete component while an IC designer has to use what ever the process allows. I have a paper copy in my office but being on the road I can't reference it. Maybe someone can post a link? I remember there were some points that I didn't agree with but that could be because they are not fully clarified in a short article.

-SL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.