Sony Super Legato Linear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently come across a Sony amplifier that boastes it is Super Legato Linear
What is this ? I have Googled and can not find any information
I thought I was abreast of all transistor technologies but this one is new to me !!!
Any Response would be most interesting .
Regards Trev

Taken from the ta-ax6 Service Manual

Hope this helps

Regards
James

Attachments

• clipboard01.gif
    clipboard01.gif
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,008
A lot of marketing "snake-oil" and "fluff".

Most , if not all - of the DIY amp projects on this forum would far
exceed that sony in both speed and SQ.

(below) , the sony does appear to be using some type of class "AB2"
output stage.
And a bit faster 2sc2681 output at 80mhz Ft .

But , that's it - no "magic" here !

OS

Attachments

• ta-ax8.jpg
    ta-ax8.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 634
It would be nice to correct the title of the thread from 'lrgato' to 'legato'.
Nothing special - however if you want to see the prototype of sorts for this amp, it's the sony TA=F555ES (NOT the Mk2 version). THis is the first Sony ES series integrated. THe surprising thing you might find there are Sanken LAPT transistors in the oiutput without ANY emitter resistors whatsoever. The trick is that it uses the internal array resistors. This reduces the Re to an absolute minimum and increases the size of the class A operation area. i.e. extends the crossover region to it's maximum. The trick of course is thermal stabilization but this amp handles it very well by also having thermal feedback from the drivers. The sown side is that only a single pair of transistors can be used. It is also possible to further refine the concept by using a single external emitter resistor to balance the effective value of the internal Re of the PNP and NPN part, unfortunately the value of such resistor might be impractically low.

I had one 30 years ago. It also had a switch-mode psu module inside, allowing for a very low height.

I liked mine but it developed a VERY intermittent fault on one channel: Loop went open causing a very loud "crack!" on the speaker. I tried for months to locate it but never succeeded :ashamed: It would never go wrong with the lid off and I used up a wholesale supply of freezer spray! Changed loads of components. Probably a PTH, but life is too short!

Anyway, not a fault specific to Sony, and otherwise I liked the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.