Audiolab 8000a strange fault

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Audiolab 8000a has just developed a strange and apparently inconsistent fault. It's working absolutely fine for my tuner, MD player and DVD player, but when listening to my CD player the sound is thin, distant and whiney. The obvious conclusion is that there is a fault with the CD player, BUT, the problem can be manipulated by applying pressure in different directions to the main volume knob of the amplifier. If you push it in certain directions the sounds returns to normal. As soon as you remove the pressure the fault re-appears. Weird!

Has anyone experienced this before? Any advice on what might be causing this strange problem would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

As the volume pot is the same for all inputs, the fault is most likely as AndrewT describes.
Give the RCA's and circuit board(s) a good check for cracked solder joints.
If you don't find the fault, try tapping each component very carefully with something insulated, while listen to the CD input to locate the component/area causing the problem.
Good luck ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.