Symmetrical Phono Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I am after a discrete symmetrical phono pre-amplifer (MM stage).

I have searched the forum for a few days but was woundering if anyone had links to schematics of the above as kost I have found are OP-Amp designs etc.

The elector electronics design with MAT-02 and 03 matched input pairs looked good, but its a pre and not phono pre with no RIAA.

Also any designs with dc servo included would be of interest.

Regards

John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi seroxatmad,
Your Cyrus phono section is pretty good. However, it needs to be serviced to cure some supply problems that surely exist by now. The difference in quality will not be subtle. The overall performance of the Cyrus will be improved. Cyrus in England has a "refreshing" service for your unit. I believe you should really look into this. Fixing the problem I mentioned is included. In case you are wondering, I do Cyrus warranty service in Canada.

Do this first.

Building a phono preamp is very good practice and you will find it instructive I think. Look into some preamplifiers from the late 70's and early 80's. That is when mass market audio quality peaked.

Hint: a Marantz 3650 and SC-9 had killer good discrete phono stages. The best I have heard so far. No kidding. There are probably other preamps with very good phono preamp stages.

Also, look in the Pass forums and John Curl's work to name a couple. Designing a good phono stage is not trivial.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I am after building the phono pre amplifier to complement my headphone amplifier - a headwize.com Kumiza III.

It is a symmetrical class-a with no global feedback, only local and uses a servo IC other wise is totaly discete.

I am thinking of upgrading to a cyrus 6 or 8 amp(which have no phono section) or building a JHL 80 Watt design Power amplifer.

My Cyrus 1 is 20 years old has been my main and only amp in all these years - still sounds better than what most people buy over here i.e Argos and Curry's midi systems.

Regards

John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
My Cyrus 1 is 20 years old has been my main and only amp in all these years - still sounds better than what most people buy over here i.e Argos and Curry's midi systems.
I agree. Your system will continue to serve you well in another room.

I just ordered a pair of Mono X amplifiers from Cyrus. I would urge you to have a look at some of the newer equipment, even if you can't afford it just yet. The newer units are much improved in sound quality.

My main point is this, your Cyrus 1 is over 20 years old. Refurbishing it properly should be considered as it will return it to it's normal self.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.