SKA, ASKA and LifeForce VS a commercially available amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm "refreshing" my stereo system and am trying to decide on amplifiers. I was initially lured into the diy amp idea from some mention of the AKSA and LifeForce amps. I looked into those and while they received great reviews, they are quite pricy. I then found the SKA GB150 and 300 amps. These seem to be of similar quality but are more reasonably priced.

From those who have built either kitset, how does the sound compare to commercially available amplifiers? Any specific examples would be great. I'm up for the DIY project, but I would want to be doing it to acheive a level of sound qulaity not available in a comparably priced prebuilt uint.

Speakers will be ellis 1801b's running at 60hz on up (seperate sub's and amp). Preamp processor will be SS.

Thanks in advance!

Tinkerguy,

The AKSA, SKA and Lifeforce amps are all very good, and probably rank subjectively with commercial gear costing several thousand dollars.

The SKA is inexpensive and good sounding, my company products are not in the same price bracket.

There are reasons for pricing, of course, but it's always your call.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Hugh

Sonic quality is one of the reasons dear Hugh

You are humble to say....but your Aksa is some steps up related the competition.

It is an enormous honor to this other amplifier, that almost have cloned your brand name, to be together your Lifeforce.

I think this will be one of the very rare moments it will be head to head with your amplifier.

He had his moments of fame... when was in your forum producing some propaganda for his product.... unfortunatelly, for him, now the spot ligths are off.

regards,

Carlos

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tinkerguy,
There is always that elusive "best" amplifier. Relax and try to listen to some. There is always some reason for the price of a product. This is not to say that expensive commercial products are the best, but for sure you won't be happy with a cheap product.

Given the cost to DIY an amplifier, you are in a position to build a few different ones for fun and education. I would recommend that you do exactly that. Hugh's amplifier's do seem to be a "blue chip" choice. I haven't heard one but some people I respect have. They report a positive experience.

Now for fun. There are amps like the SymAsym (pretty good 50 watts), and Quasi's projects, the GEM and countless others. You can even check out a tube amp. Start with a 6BQ5 version first.

-Chris

tinkerguy

You may want to mention what your pre is, as it can make a huge difference to your choice. There are some cases where the pre does not justify a better power amp.

In another thread I have a list of DIY amps I've built and most will leave the majority of commercial amps (below insane prices) behind.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1267658#post1267658

I would not build amps (I don't really enjoy the process) if there was no sonic or financial benefit. If there were commercial offerings as good at similar prices, I'd be in like a flash. One other point... you get what you pay for and even though the AKSA / Lifeforce may be more expensive, they are better value IMO. Don't think too much in $$$ but think in sound and long term enjoyment.

Well Rabbitz, you already concluded that speakers makes more difference than.....

... amplifiers into sonics.

You know, not kidding, you are one step up related the "real thing knowledge"....we.... poor devils, we continue to search something from outer space..... you are advanced.

The problem is that sound do not propagate in the space...no air!... and because of that they may use ligth in the place of sound vibrations.

So.... finding it...will not produce sound!

You may laugh....not really laugh...but smile with some pitty related us.... we go searching for 1 percent..when speakers can increase or decrease sonics into 70 percent.

Sorry Rabbitz.... you are more evoluted in my point of view...you already know the reality.

But, as every humans..you are fooling yourself with pré- amplifiers...ahahahahah..... we are all sick about those things.

Image is laughing with you.. not laughing on you, but together.

no one is nude... we do not use shirts inside home..too much hot...we are in the winter peak, and temperature is 25 degrées.

cheers,

Carlos

Attachments

• not nude..here is hot!.jpg
    not nude..here is hot!.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2,089
Carlos

We wouldn't mind a bit of 25° here at the moment as winter is not my favourite time of year. Anything below 20° is bleh!

You are right that the speakers can have the largest influence on sound and is the easiest place to gain better sound. Saying that, the complete system has to work as one and all parts have to live in harmony and match or it's chaos. :xeye:

I've done some pre testing recently with the Lifeforce and the difference was quite large. The best was a passive pre with a buffer between the source and pre.

Cheers

But my spies where in Australia visiting forum customers

I have perceived that some boards have parts into the gray location.

This seems to me Hugh is still playing with his tricks.

Not really tricks.... "Technological Resouces Iniciated Carrying kilos of Sonics"...T.R.I.C.K.S

The 55 is wonderfull.... i love this amplifier.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• new top secrets location.jpg
    new top secrets location.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,341
Thanks for the feedbaks guys. I haven't decided on the pre amp yet, but am leaning towards the integra 9.8 DTC. 2nd is an outlaw audio 990. This system will be running 5.1 for home theater maybe 40% of the time. The rest will be stereo.. CD player for now, but would like to try out dvd a and sacd.

Rabbitz, I'm with you in that I don't really want to build these just for the fun of it. I'm sure it will be enjoyable, I have many other projects that also need my attention. I'm hoping to get some good feedback on these (or other) designs that will help me determine which one to go with. At that point, I'll make a 5 channel unit.

To give you an idea of what I'm starting with- Denon 3300 with DIY Focal polykevlar + titanium tweets.. It's so bright and abrasive that it's trying to peel the paint off the walls!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Carlos,
I have to agree with you. Speakers make a large difference but there are very large differences in sound between different amplifiers and pre-amplifiers. The time spend in finding good ones is well spend.

The same can be said of CD players, turntables and phono cartridges. Cassette decks as well (assuming they are working properly and are calibrated properly to the test tape).

-Chris

Ok, I think I've added another amp to the possible list. The Aussie Amplifiers NX150 synergy or NX400NL Synergy.. If anyone can offer any first hand comparasions of these three makes(AKSA/LF, SKA and the AUS NX), that would be great ! :) rabbitz, it looks as though you've tried all three. How wouldyou compare them? Thanks again.

tinkerguy said:
Ok, I think I've added another amp to the possible list. The Aussie Amplifiers NX150 synergy or NX400NL Synergy.. If anyone can offer any first hand comparasions of these three makes(AKSA/LF, SKA and the AUS NX), that would be great ! :) rabbitz, it looks as though you've tried all three. How wouldyou compare them? Thanks again.

It's hard with a comparison due to varying tastes and equipment. To give you some idea, I built an AKSA 55 a long while back and then upgraded to the N+. The amps that followed were built to find if they were better than the AKSA and I'd have to say, they were not better for my use or tastes. The AKSA just makes music pure and simple.... keeps on going trouble free.... 3 cheers for bipolars.

I had a NX150 (one of the early ones prior to the Synergy) and have a review on Anthony's site. It was a very honest, natural, smooth sounding amp and could live with it easily. It lost a bit of the emotion and special qualities of the AKSA but did gain in the bottom end. This amp was sold and the buyer destroyed some of the Mosfets so it never worked again but went to another builder for repair and use. Trouble shooting is not my idea of fun and on double sided PCBs can be worse.

The SKA (GB150) never hit the heights. The sound really did not suit me and I found it a bit flat and lacking some life of the other amps. I did not build it so have no idea if there was a construction fault and later it sort of died after a pre amp transformer went nuts. There were a few other earlier problems but I think isolated to these modules as others out there are marching on fine with happy owners. It's unfortunate, that due to this I lost confidence in it and Mosfets in general.

I'm sure any of these amps would be fine and experiences of one builder does not paint the full picture. You need opinions of heaps of others.

I love the Aksa 55 sonics...i also use the Lifeforce

But my prefered is the 55...maybe because other things that happened in my life since i had that unit...maybe more feelings than sonic qualities.

Lifeforce is a better amplifier... very precise....but if you have a bad recording it will show you all the defects of your sound.

The Aksa 55 sounds more warm, more romantic...

I am using Philips 150 Watts speaker and a good headphone from Senheiser.

When testings...during A to B....the Headphone is used...because it is better.

The 55 is very old.... i think people cannot find it to be sold anymore.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.